MRod set up for 12 ft pounds???

The Benjamin Marauder air rifle can be tuned. You can adjust the trigger and the rifles velocities for different fill pressures.

MRod set up for 12 ft pounds???

Postby mbrave on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:17 am

Has anyone setup their Mrod for 12 ft pounds to compete in FT international class?

How is the accuracy, shot count, etc?

I am struggling with the purchase of a quality air rifle and find the cost of the MRod appealing compared to the AA S400 MPR FT I have been coveting for a while.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Mrod when I read about the inconsistency of the accuracy from gun to gun on the Mrod depending on the barrel and then the shot count of 20ish vs 80ish on the S400.

Any advice on my pending purchase other than the obvious price difference???

Thanks for your input in advance,
Mark
mbrave

Re: MRod set up for 12 ft pounds???

Postby Supercharged86 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi Mark, Take a look at this blog article over on the Crosman website, http://www.crosman.com/blogs/croswords/?cat=47&paged=3. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby mbrave on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks for the article link. Great information.

It didn't mention how the accuracy was other than the title. Is it safe to assume that the title to that section of the article is a true reflection of the performance at those settings, that the accuracy is best at 12 fpe?

What about the accuracy of the Marauder vs an S400. I know this is an Mrod forum and there seems to be a lot of merit to the Mrod, but wondered if anyone had experience with an AA S4XX and might be able to make a quality comparison. Is it a case of you get what you pay for or is it really a why pay more situation?

Thanks again,
Mark
mbrave

Postby Boris on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:03 pm

I have both AA S410 ERB and MRD. IMHO, MRD's build quality is 90-95% of AA S410 for half of the price and quieter. Yes, AA is a very nice gun and better build, but not twice better and loudness (or rather quietness) is a big priority for my. Accuracy is about equal. I shot about the same high scores in Metallic Silhouette with both. At 45m both shot pellets touching each other and can be covered with a small coin.
Knowing that I know now and if MRD was available at the time then my AA S410 was purchased, I would skip the AA S410 and bought two MRDs instead. I would still trade my AA S410 for two MRDs today.
Boris

Postby Supercharged86 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:10 am

Boris wrote:I have both AA S410 ERB and MRD. IMHO, MRD's build quality is 90-95% of AA S410 for half of the price and quieter. Yes, AA is a very nice gun and better build, but not twice better and loudness (or rather quietness) is a big priority for my. Accuracy is about equal. I shot about the same high scores in Metallic Silhouette with both. At 45m both shot pellets touching each other and can be covered with a small coin.
Knowing that I know now and if MRD was available at the time then my AA S410 was purchased, I would skip the AA S410 and bought two MRDs instead. I would still trade my AA S410 for two MRDs today.

Thanks Boris, I'm glad someone with both chimed in with their opinion. In your experience with the AirArms, would you say that they're as sensitive to pellet choice (although it sounds like the .25's are less prone to this), having to sometimes try a dozen or more, before finding one that shoots true? Also, you hear once and a while someone will get an Mrod that just won't shoot, even after trying many different pellets. Subsequently, they need to return it for a new one. Does this same problem occur with the AA products? Thanks. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby Boris on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 pm

My AA S410 is .22 caliber and MRD is .177, so its not direct comparing, but anyway its just a personal experience and opinion.
My AA is not too pellet sensitive, it shoot well most of the pellets, but it does prefer heavier pellets and shoot JSB 16-18gn and Kodiak/Barracudas slightly better on the full power (940-950 fps).
My MRD is currently tuned specifically for competition (under 20FPE) and shoot crosman premiers 10.5gn at 895-910FPS. All Crosman/Benjamin heavy pellets (domed, hollow-points, ultra magnum) shoot almost equally well. Kodiak/Barracudas with similar weight shoot about the same as Crosman/Benjamin.
Both rifles do OK with light pellets, but at longer distance heavier pellets a little bit better.
I didn't have problems with either guns, cleaning, trigger adjustment for both and power tuning for MRD is all it took.
I also have Avanty Valiant XS40 (AA S200, CZ T200) airgun and it shoots extremely accurate with most cheap pellets including Crosman pointed 7.9gn. Tuned to 12 FPE and with extra removable cylinder it may be better choice for FT then both above-mentioned guns. Current price on those is also not prohibitive and small cylinder filled easy with the hand pump. Its a little too light to shoot of hand, but for FT with all the addons hanging from it its about perfect.
Boris

Postby mbrave on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks for the information. When I hear from someone with hands on experience with both that they are about the same in accuracy, I think it becomes time to pull the trigger on the Mrod.
Regards,
Mark
mbrave

Return to Marauder Tuning and Adjusting