Tuning-In Order of Benefit, where to start?

The Benjamin Marauder air rifle can be tuned. You can adjust the trigger and the rifles velocities for different fill pressures.

Tuning-In Order of Benefit, where to start?

Postby hi-vel on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:45 am

New to forum and have not read everything from top to bottom- that said, What is going to generate the biggest returns for the time/effort, in improving 1-Accuracy, 2-Velocity. For the purpose of this question, everything is stock, no replacement parts have been considered. Work is to be performed by owner/DIY. Thank you in advance for your replies, Cheers!

Cliff B
California High Sierra's, upstream from the Fruits & Nuts and flushing daily...
hi-vel

Re: Tuning-In Order of Benefit, where to start?

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Cliff, Welcome. There are many discussions already in place regarding accuracy and velocity. But in a nutshell there are several factors that will determine both velocity and overall accuracy. Velocity will depend on fill pressure, current gun settings (they're probably somewhere around 2.5 HS, 2.5 ST and 2.5 VP for .177 and .22) and the weight of pellet used. Having a chrony is an absolute must if you want the most out of your Mrod. Overall accuracy will depend on barrel condition, pellet used and velocity (shooters ability not with standing). Unlike the .25, which seems to be less sensitive to pellet selection, the .177 and especially the .22 are somewhat pellet sensitive. Which means you'll have to try as many as a dozen or more pellets until you find one your Mrod really likes. I would start with the Crosman Premier Heavy. Pellets are also effected by overall velocity and this is where you'll need that chrony to measure, most if not all can become aerodynamically unstable if you over-clock them. Keep reading.... :mrgreen: Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby Lammy1000 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:03 pm

For those with a chronogragh, what velocity prides the best accuracy in .177 caliber?
Lammy1000

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Lammy1000 wrote:For those with a chronogragh, what velocity prides the best accuracy in .177 caliber?

Will depend on the pellet used, as an example, the Crosman Premier Heavy 10.5 was originally designed for the 800-850 range, although I've had them shoot well to 950. I love the EunJin 16.1, shoots well at 900+ and then on the flip side, the Beeman Silver Arrows, which look great but needed to be slowed way down to 700 for any accuracy. Each pellet will be different which is why it's important to measure. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Re: Tuning-In Order of Benefit, What group size do YOU get?

Postby hi-vel on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:48 pm

Steve:

Thank you for your notes and suggestions. I am shooting a .25 and have started a log book of its' likes & dislikes already, which really helps me in keeping track of the different arms I own. I'm not that old, but it would certainly be more confusing without the documentation...

In relation to this same question, perhaps the first question should have actually been: What is acceptable or documented performance of the Marauders? I would think to classify by caliber, then pellet, would be a good start-

So what is common 'best group' expectations in .25, .22 or .177? Maybe I've got a screamer and don't know it... :o

Cheers, Cliff B.
hi-vel

Postby Supercharged86 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:31 am

Of the three Cliff, the .25 probably has the best accuracy out of the box. This is no doubt due to the vendor supplied barrel, ie. Green Mountain Barrels. It looks like 1/4" groups at 50 yards are easily obtainable. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Return to Marauder Tuning and Adjusting