WAR Valve, NBH, and 3D De-Pinger

The Benjamin Marauder air rifle can be tuned. You can adjust the trigger and the rifles velocities for different fill pressures.

WAR Valve, NBH, and 3D De-Pinger

Postby BDSKJChris » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:58 am

I have started this thread to do a sort of review of the new parts from Wicked Air rifles.

first impressions (based on opening the box and looking at the parts):

Valve - made out of aluminum, (bare not anodized as many have pointed out already), I did not disassemble the valve or look at it much but the valve looks nice, has minimal tooling marks on it and seems well built. I think it should be anodized or made from stainless steel considering the price point of the part.

GEN 2 NBH - I was surprised when I received the new hammer with the built in buffer (replicates the effect of b-staley o-ring mod)..this new feature comes at the cost of one of the brake shoes. the contact surfaces of the hammer have a decent surface finish but the chamfered edges and faces have a lot of tooling marks and rough finish (should not affect function). again nice quality part.

3D-depinger - not much to say that hasn't been said already, nice quality part made from aluminum, ships bare so I burnished it with silicone o-ring lube.

initial performance/thoughts (pertaining to installation and drop-in function):

Valve - does it's job well, once I got everything shooting I filled to 2900 psi, no pre-load on the 12.5 lb spring, and striker set flush with hammer face (how I received it) I shot 16 shots and still had roughly 2300-2400 psi in the tube.

de-pinger - does its job, I think I am hearing spring twang , not ping.

GEN 2 NBH - I had a few issues initially. after 2 shots the hammer locked up and I was unable to cock the rifle, I managed to unjam the hammer and shot 2 more shots and same issue. I tore the rifle down (had to be very careful as the rifle had a magazine inserted and the bolt was stuck in the forward position). so I called Travis, he told me the issue was with the airtube, told me his method of correcting it and also told me to polish the inside of the air tube and apply a dry-lube such as graphite. when I tried to pull the hammer, it was stuck in place so I had to use a punch and lightly tap it forward to dis-lodge it, this caused the valve to partially open and let out a small burst of air. once I inspected the hammer for gouges or marks indicating the source of the jam, I found none in the area Travis told me they would be. there were a lot of marks and gouges on the brake shoe's forward edge, after I looked at it and the tube for a while I came up with the theory that the shoe was going past it's intended point of travel and wedging itself between the tube and the round front portion of the hammer. I still did everything Travis told me too just to be sure as it could only help. I had no graphite on hand so I used eezox, a very light coat, (it is a dry firearms lube/rust inhibitor). once I finished I cycled the bolt about 30 times without issue, (did not fire or dry fire, de-cocked the rifle each time) so far so good. the next day I drilled the transfer port, cleaned the barrel and test fired, I was satisfied with 16 incident free shots. due to what I saw I believe that the NBH (the gen 2 at least) needs some amount of lube to function without issue. unfortunately, this also decreases its effectiveness and I could hear a very small amount of bounce, (I have yet to tune the set-up so it may be correctable).

my advice for drilling the transfer port is to go to lowes and purchase an individual dewalt brand 3/16" cobalt drill bit. they cost around $3 and using 3in1 oil as cutting fluid the bit left no burrs in the transfer port.
BDSKJChris

Re: WAR Valve, NBH, and 3D De-Pinger

Postby oldpro » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:54 am

Well written honest reply. Im making a video that I will post very soon on how to fix issues with the crosman air tube this will both make cocking and firing free of any binding and allow the hammer to break in faster. The crosman air tube is anything but round to say the least and ranges in id 10 thousandths or more from tube to tube thats why it takes sometime for the hammer to break in and requires the air tube to be buffed and the sear slot chamfered. Not that crosman had any idea someone would be sliding a NBH down the tube but ive read many many posts regarding hard cocking of stock guns with no modified parts and gouges developing from the hammer digging into the air tube especially with the new gen 2 and its new design bolt that really forces the hammer to cock in the bore,anyway its fixable with simple hand tools. Im working every day to to both make our products better and bring new products to market, this year will be quite crazy with all the new stuff were about to launch. Believe me the Marauder platform is anything but dead like other forums like to state just wait till they see whats coming :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For WAR products, please visit my vendor shop on the Marauder Forum http://www.marauderairrifle.com/shops/w ... ir-rifles/
oldpro

Postby BDSKJChris » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:52 am

no problem, I figure you can use honest input more than nit picking.

some ideas I have for improvements or other products would be to use stainless for the valve, (I would prefer stainless over anodizing) even if it causes a small price increase of $25-35.

also, coming out with a jig for people to use a drill bit and tap handle with the same precision as a drill press for drilling the transfer port, (this could even be offered as a rental with a charge for use and security deposit for the tool). it would clamp onto the receiver and allow the user to center the bit and hold in perpendicular to the transfer port and then a tap handle would be used to turn the bit.

I will be tuning the rifle with a chronograph hopefully this weekend, after that I will hunt some squirrels and a coyote and I will update this thread with more results/opinions.
BDSKJChris

Postby oldpro » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Good idea and a precision ball hone to smooth out the air tube might be a good idea also. I think a loaner program where you pay for the tools and are refunded 100% when I get them back.
For WAR products, please visit my vendor shop on the Marauder Forum http://www.marauderairrifle.com/shops/w ... ir-rifles/
oldpro

Postby sshewins » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:36 pm

Travis, just a thought. As an option, send a transfer port already drilled out? Obviously there would have to be a charge for this. Not everyone has access to a lathe or drill press.

It's one thing to drill the barrel with a cordless drill, but a whole different animal for the port.

Like I said, just a thought.
sshewins

Postby oldpro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 pm

The valve comes with and oversized transfer port.
oldpro

Postby sshewins » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:42 pm

Oops, I misread the part about honing the air tube. Thought you said transfer port. My bad.
sshewins

Return to Marauder Tuning and Adjusting