Best tune for 10 meters?

The Benjamin Marauder air rifle can be tuned. You can adjust the trigger and the rifles velocities for different fill pressures.

Best tune for 10 meters?

Postby bobdubois on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Cold weather and lots of snow combined with limited daylight have pretty much moved my shooting exclusively into the basement where I have a 10 meter range set up. A 10 meter match rifle is not in the budget at the moment, so I rigged up iron sights on my Marauder to punch holes in paper. I've been trying to get the best tune for accuracy at this distance. Does anyone have experience with tuning for 10 meters?
bobdubois

Re: Best tune for 10 meters?

Postby Supercharged86 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:59 am

Hey Bob, If I'm not mistaken, aren't the majority of those fancy .177 match rifles set to approximately 570 fps max? At only 10m you won't need much in terms of speed. Which pellet are you trying to shoot? Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Re: Best tune for 10 meters?

Postby bobdubois on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 pm

Super,
The catalogs seem to list the 10 meter guns as having a velocity in the 530 to 570 fps range.

I shut the transfer port adjustment down to 1/2 turn from fully closed,set hammer pre-load at 4.5 and hammer stroke at 6.8. I think I'm on the right track with the transfer port setting but don't have a clue where to go with the pre-load and stroke settings. I filled to 2100 and shot sixty shots through my crony. They ranged from 570 down to 530. I stopped just after the velocity started to hit 529. The gun still had 1900 psi at that point .

My goal is to tighten up the velocity spread (ideally to less than 10 or 15 fps) and to get at least 30 shots from a fill. I have a bunch of 3000 psi 80 cu ' scuba tanks so re-filling at anything up to 2600 really isn't an issue. I suspect that filling in the 2000 psi range is where I want to be but I'm not sure if different hammer pre-load and stroke settings will get me the number of shots I want with the tighter spread in velocity.

Any thoughts from the forum would be appreciated.
Bob
bobdubois

Return to Marauder Tuning and Adjusting