Evidence to not grease the hammer

The Benjamin Marauder air rifle can be tuned. You can adjust the trigger and the rifles velocities for different fill pressures.

Postby hisownself » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:02 am

In my quest to try and increase velocity from my 0.25 MRod, I tried greasing the hammer with moly grease.

This was a mistake! The velocity of JSB Kings went from a max of 840fps at my favorite tune to 805fps!!!!!

So I took the gun apart again and cleaned all the grease out of the hammer chamber and off the hammer. Velocity returned to 840fps.

Since Hammer energy translates to pellet energy by the effect it has on opening the valve, I guess the grease actually slowed the hammer down.

Does anyone have success with greasing or oiling the hammer? Moly grease is definitely not a winner!
hisownself

Re: Evidence to not grease the hammer

Postby AlanMcD » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:27 am

I have had great success with Moly paste on the hammer when I was using an HDD in my gun (which performed fabulously too). The key was to apply a very thin coat of moly paste and burnish it into the tube with my finger. I then put just one drop of light oil on my finger (which was still dark from the moly) and would burnish it again. When done, I could see the shine from the lube but I could not actually see any of it directly. I then handled the hammer with my fingers still lightly lubed (not adding any more) as I put it in the tube so it got a very light coat as well, but that was the extent of the lube - a dab of moly no bigger than a BB with a drop of oil, and the majority of it stayed on my finger rather than on the hammer or in the tube. Light is the way to go.

This allowed the gun to work great with the HDD (smooth cocking with no binding over may thousands of shots) and did not affect the shot string in any negative way. That said, I don't typically spend time out shooting in very cold conditions, so I did not test for the impact of the lube on that condition, but for my shooting it worked great.

But I never experienced an increase in speed from the lube - there is just not that much friction on the hammer. I developed my lube technique for best results with the HDD, not for more power. I am now using Motorhead's lightweight hammer at low pressure (regulated), so the HDD is now out of the tube, as is the lube.
AlanMcD

Postby oldpro » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:15 am

Heres a little secret try this product you wont be sorry. DuPont Teflon non-stick dry film lubricant spay. Its on Amazon for $12 free shipping.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For WAR products, please visit my vendor shop on the Marauder Forum http://www.marauderairrifle.com/shops/w ... ir-rifles/
oldpro

Postby hisownself » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:39 pm

I greased the hammer like an axle roller bearing! Swimming in grease. I can see how a light film would be the way to go. Teflon spray looks like a good option...thanks!
hisownself

Postby ShawnHu » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:44 pm

hisownself wrote:In my quest to try and increase velocity from my 0.25 MRod, I tried greasing the hammer with moly grease.

This was a mistake! The velocity of JSB Kings went from a max of 840fps at my favorite tune to 805fps!!!!!

So I took the gun apart again and cleaned all the grease out of the hammer chamber and off the hammer. Velocity returned to 840fps.

Since Hammer energy translates to pellet energy by the effect it has on opening the valve, I guess the grease actually slowed the hammer down.

Does anyone have success with greasing or oiling the hammer? Moly grease is definitely not a winner!

Learned this from paintball, some 10-15 years ago. Grease is a NO-NO on hammers. Burnishing or a dry lube might be ok, but nothing thick and sticky.

Aside from lower power, you will also suffer from huge inconsistencies.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems
http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems
ShawnHu

Postby maskale » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:12 pm

Use Neolube #1 or #2

#1 is certified, #2 isn't, Once you see the price Im pretty sure you wont want the certification anyways. :mrgreen: No. 2 works just as well and much cheaper.

You brush it on and let it dry, dries quickly, you can blow on it to speed it up. It leaves behind a durable black graphite coating. I haven't used it on the gun, but use it all the time. The liquid is alcohol so its very thin. USE bottle with caution, if you spill it, whatever it lands on is pretty much permanently black if its porous. The graphite particles are in the micron range of less then 10, so pretty much everything is porous. For gun use only, a 2oz bottle will last a life time.

http://www.newmantools.com/chemicals/neolube1pds.htm

It's used mostly in the nuclear field. Seems the train guys have found a use as well. I just googled and this website was the first result.

http://www.micromark.com/neolube-2-fl-oz,8383.html
maskale

Postby hisownself » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:53 am

Ah yes graphite! My grandfather loved that stuff as a lubricant. As I kid I didn't know what I was doing and burned up a centrifugal clutch on my mini bike with that stuff. First it was high speed bronze bearing and second the graphite was probably ground up pencil "lead"!

But for a hammer that would work. I think I"ll experiment with these suggestions. Thanks!
hisownself

Postby tejani » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:43 pm

it can cause a sticky hammer syndrome
tejani

Postby tejani » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:08 am

http://www.egypthunter.com/vb/showthrea ... post148088
This post from our hunting forums in egypt
tejani

Postby Force » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:34 am

oldpro wrote:Heres a little secret try this product you wont be sorry. DuPont Teflon non-stick dry film lubricant spay. Its on Amazon for $12 free shipping.

I couldn't find the spray but found the liquid... best hammer lube period!... home depot carries it ... its also not temperature sensitive... Thank You so much for the tip oldpro!
Force

Next

Return to Marauder Tuning and Adjusting