First Impressions

The Benjamin Marauder air rifle can be tuned. You can adjust the trigger and the rifles velocities for different fill pressures.

First Impressions

Postby neilm on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:04 pm

My first post here. I own a Benjamin Discovery and TrailXP so I'm familiar with airguns but I recently purchased a .22 Cal Marauder and have been trying to understand the relationship between pressure, settings, velocity and shots per fill. Add various pellets and you have a dizzying array of possible combinations. This forum has really helped lighten the curve so I wanted to say thanks.

Recently I compiled a short list of settings I've used and the corresponding velocity. All are shot with H&H FTT 14 grain.
V = Velocity screw. (5/32 allen) Turns from full in.
H = Hammer Tension. (1/4 allen) Turns from full out
S = Striker. (1/8 allen) Turns from full out

PSI V H S FPS
3000 4 6 0 932
2800 3.5 6 0 835
2800 2.75 2 2 853
2600 2.5 2 2 830
2500 2.25 4 0 817
2300 2 2 4 750
2200 2.75 2 2 843
2200 2.5 1.5 2 769
2150 2.5 1.5 5 757

I have not experimented with shot count yet. It's a bit early for conclusions but right away I am noticing that PSI and V have the greatest influence on FPS. I tried following the A-Team instructions but I have not drawn any conclusions from it yet. It seems the velocity pretty much goes down with shot count no matter what I turn. Also, I have not solved the mystery between H,S and PSI. It appears I can pretty much fill the gun to whatever I wish despite the settings. Am I missing something?

As for first impressions of the gun I find it a bit large and heavy for hunting and shooting off hand all day long. The trigger is nice and I really enjoy how quiet it is. Multi-shot is nice too but to be honest I still prefer my Discovery when it comes to climbing a mountain and chasing Ptarmagain here in Alaska. Accuracy has been about the same as my Discovery though I'm still searching for that perfect pellet. Crosman Premiers (boxed) and H&H FTT or Beeman FTS seem to be doing well. At higher pressures the H&H Baracuda, 21 grain looks good. I pushed it to 883 FPS at full power.

At any rate, I just wanted to say hi.

Neil
Kodiak, AK
neilm

Return to Marauder Tuning and Adjusting