Missed 1st shot - lucky to get 2nd shot on coon

If you hunt with air guns, you can post your stories and pictures here.

Missed 1st shot - lucky to get 2nd shot on coon

Postby chancers on Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:25 am

Barely got this coon last night. As usual, the motion sensor goes off at around 1:45am. I get the window open and see this fat raccoon messing up the property. This time, instead of hurrying through the shot, I try my best to be patient and wait for a full side profile. In a few seconds I see the chance, aim for just behind the ear, and squeeze the trigger (MRod25 with night vision scope). I'm pretty sure I missed because the coon casually moved and shook its head. But, for some reason, it didn't run away. Maybe it didn't register that a 25 Predator pellet flying at around 860 fps just wizzed by its head. Like most typical raccoons, It just stood on its 2 hind legs and sniffed the air. It was looking in my direction, as I could see its glowing eyes looking right in my direction. A few seconds later, another side profile was presented. My second shot smacked it right behind the ear. The coon flipped over on its back and rolled and thrashed for maybe 5-6 seconds before another 25 Predator smacked along the underside of its jaw.

Close up of entrance wound.

2nd pellet entrance wound.
chancers

Re: Missed 1st shot - lucky to get 2nd shot on coon

Postby NeuRon on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:02 am

:D I love your varmint alarm and NV rig. Real nice shot, too.

Do you find the .25 dumps enough FPE into a coon for a body shot, maybe even poorly placed, to do the job? I had some really cheap Remington .22LR ammo I was running through my SIG 522 and found that the innacurate rounds just zinged through the body. I might have done more damage with an icepick. :roll: I'm thinking that the 1400ft/sec less velocity and bigger hole (especially with Polymags or MrHollowPoints) will stick 'em a lot better... ...even without the hydrostatic damage of a supersonic shot: Sort of like God's slingshot. :)

NeuRon

Postby luv4pits on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:58 am

Nice. I'd say the Marauder with a body shot. When it dosen't pass through they take all the FPE.
Going through I don;t think they realized what happend besides. It's time to run or fly.
I hunted alot with my .20 olscool Sheridan. I cant count how many birds flew the coupe After a pass through
shot. I found love with the .20 poly mag and five pumps. The pellet dosen't exit, but the impact is so great it rips them
a foot off the line or fence and all DOA.
Great job.
FAMILY FIRST
luv4pits

Postby s_tones on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:04 am

He's just resting.
s_tones

Return to Hunting - Warning Graphic Pictures!