Finally got the little country rat

If you hunt with air guns, you can post your stories and pictures here.

Finally got the little country rat

Postby chancers on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:02 am

This little possum has been playing cat and mouse with me the last 3 nights. Everytime he would set off the motion sensor, grab a bite to eat, and run off into the woods. On Thursday night, the rat set off the sensor 2 times. On Friday night, it set off the sensor 3 times (around 1am, 3am, and 4:30am). Each time the sensor went off, I would go to the window, look outside, and see nothing. Well, finally last night the little bastard got too lax and set off the sensor early (12 am). Since I was already up (watching a subtitled Chinese kung-fu movie about Wing-Chun master Ip Man), I was quick to get to the window and finally saw the rat. Such a tiny tiny possum. I actually thought it might have been a regular rat.

Despite being tiny, that country rat was pretty tough. The 1st 25 Predator pellet hit it between the ear and eye (but was slightly low). Since the shot placement was not good enough, the rat scampered the best it could into the woods. Luckily I was still able to see the rat in the tall weeds and sent a flurry of Predators to finish the job. I think the 2nd or 3rd pellet finished the job. But, I sent maybe 3 more just to double make sure. The last 2 possums that I thought were dead were not recoverable the next morning.

1st shot - entrance wound. If this shot were 1 inch higher, it probably could have been lethal.

chancers

Re: Finally got the little country rat

Postby NeuRon on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:44 am

Nothing like getting the sneaky ones! :D Nice read. I love being immediately pulled in and having to finish the story. Some people might not think the movie choice and time of evening are relevant: Those people would be mistaken! :lol:

While that first shot might not have been drop-on-the-spot lethal, it looks like blood loss would have eventually been a factor. If not, infection and ants probably would have done it in. I understand the need (or ethics) to promptly finish the job in the immediate vacinity. But in terms of pest control, the .25 is definately up to the task!

NeuRon

Re: Finally got the little country rat

Postby Trident on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Bang bang
Trident

Return to Hunting - Warning Graphic Pictures!