Pest Infested farm

If you hunt with air guns, you can post your stories and pictures here.

Pest Infested farm

Postby Lyle on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:40 pm

I got permission to shoot at a farm about 1/2 mile from my home. Its a real Sh-- Hole is you know what I me but the farmer is a great guy and always gave me permission to bowhunt his woods. Yesterday morning I stopped to ask for the spring Turkey season and noticed a large flock of Starrlings hanging around his barn. I pointed them out to him and he said he takes a shot at them once and a while but has not time for that.

So being the helpful person that I am, I offered my services and introduced him To the Marauder. He was very happy I offered my services and then told me about the over abundance of house sparrows, pigeons and rats. Yes!!! Rats!!!!. The farmer instructed me to walk around the barn,past the chicken cupes and over to the pig pens. The rats come from under the pile of pallets when he feeds the pigs and he also stated he sees them at night.

So I inserted a mag into the Marauder and jacked a .22 cal pellet into the chamber and set out on a early morning recon of the area. Just as I rounded the side of the house there at the peak of the barn roof I spied a Starling. I knelt down a squeezed off a silent shot and thwakk. The crossman 14.3 hollow point found its mark. I reached the chicken coupes after dispatching four sparrows along the way.

At the chicken coupes I found that this place was Infested with rats, Holes every where and tracks in the mudd. Man I hate rats!!!!. I made my way through the coupes,about ten of them and over to the pig pen and rat sign everywhere. The farmer had made his way over to the pig pen and showd me where they come from and just as he was pointing to the stack of pallets I caught a glimps of a rat scurring around under the pallets . I couldnt get a shot but he assured me if I showed up around 4:00pm when he fed the hogs I would get all the shooting I wanted. Damm the bad luck,Had to spend time with the wife that evening but the morning was still young and I shot 22 sparrows and 2 starllings before I had to head home besides I was running low on air.
The next day right after work I headed for the farm aroung 3:45 pm with hopes of shooting some rats. The farmer was away and would be back until later so sparrows,starllings and pigeons paid the price :twisted: . The pigeon was an amazing shot if I have to say so my self. 75 yards,no kidding,75 yards resting on the bipod and shooting up to the top of the silo. I aimed for its chest and smack, perfect head shot. This gun is simply the most fun and accurate air rifle I have ever owned. Well to say the least the count is 44 sparrows,5 starllings and one pigeon, 0 rats :evil: but they taunt me. I see them scurry and dart arround under the chicken coupes and stacks of pallets all the time. I think a night hunt is in the makings for the weekend. I will keep you all posted on my virtual shooting gallery. This place is so much fun I feel like I am 12 years old again :D
Lyle

Re: Pest Infested farm

Postby sacshooter on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Great story,

if you are near sacto, ca I'll offer my help. next time you go after the rats, try a flashlight with a red filter this may help you spot them in the shadows, it would be fun to take them after dark :D

Roger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sacshooter aka Site Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sacshooter

Postby Lyle on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Sorry Roger I am in Wisconsin. But It sure would be fun to have someone go with. I have a light setup for fox and coyotes I am going to put on the gun. Rats beware!!!!
Lyle

Postby sacshooter on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:30 pm

Sweet

Roger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sacshooter aka Site Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sacshooter

Postby Lyle on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:56 pm

I will post some pics the next time I go.
Lyle

Postby ssscottg on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Lyle,

Nice Story. Makes me recall my misspent youth! :D

What a great take for a single day.

Scott
ssscottg

Postby Lyle on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 am

Thank you Scott. It was a great two days. It also has been a great cure for the bad case of cabin fever I have had for about the last month or so,it has been a long winter here in Wisconsin and discovering this place has been a real treat. I am heading out there after work again today. Hope he feeds the hogs tonight while I am there. I am bringing my camera along this time.
Lyle

Postby Lyle on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:57 pm

75 sparrows,9 starlings and 1 pigeon so far not one rat kill that I can confirm. Took a shot out of desperation as it darted arround under the one of the chicken coupes. ther was a little blood so I know I hit it but could not confirm the kill.
Lyle

Postby Supercharged86 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Hey Lyle,
I think you should call in some reinforcements for help :D ! We would be happy to join in to engage the enemy. Enjoy!
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby BamaFan on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:23 pm

Nice Lyle, nice :!: :!: :!:
BamaFan

Next

Return to Hunting - Warning Graphic Pictures!