Coon

If you hunt with air guns, you can post your stories and pictures here.

Coon

Postby dogwood on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:34 am

Saturday evening around 8 O clock I looked out the front door to see a Coon wandering across our front yard (I live in a heavily wood area)
I jumped up and grabbed the .22 marauder, loaded a Kodiak and headed out the door, he hadn't gone far..

Once he notice my presence he sprint off about 25 yards then made the mistake of stopping and looking to see what I was doing. :twisted:
Lined up the cross hairs just below his nose and let one loose. Nice solid "Thwack!" (rifle is sighted in for 50 yrds. hits a bit high at 25)
He took of and ran about 100 feet before falling over dead.

Sorry no pictures.
dogwood

Re: Coon

Postby hawkeye on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:12 pm

dogwood wrote:Once he notice my presence he sprint off about 25 yards then made the mistake of stopping and looking to see what I was doing.
Lined up the cross hairs just below his nose and let one loose. Nice solid "Thwack!" (rifle is sighted in for 50 yrds. hits a bit high at 25)

Sorry no pictures.

Hey Dogwood,

First of all, I hate racoons!! I had some racoons living under my deck last winter and decided that my .177 Mrod would help thin the herd. ;) I know some folks might question the wisdom of taking a coon with a .177 but in my opinion it's all in shot placement and knowing the limits of your rifle. If I can get a good head shot within 25yds I'll take it. I aim right behind the ear and squeeze the shot off. I'm 6 for 6 in racoons this year. When you hit them behind the ear it's an immediate lights out, good-bye, roll over, and then toast city. :) The nice thing with the Mrod is that the neighbors never hear a thing and the coon doesn't know what hit him!! By the way, I used 10.5 gr Benjamin Discovery HP's.
hawkeye

Postby Lyle on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Good Job :twisted: I to do not care for raccoons. I was bowhunting one time when I was young and sat on the ground by a dead tree. I did not think of it being hollow but it was. Just at dusk I heard some scratching and bark dropped from the tree down my shirt. I turned to look up the tree and there to my surprise was a huge coon about five feet from my face growling and snarling at me. I sprung to my feet an ran like a scared little rabbit. Scince then I see one and I make every attempt to dispatch it. Here where I live we have tons of coon for the trappers and coon hunters do not hunt them like years past.Just dont get much for them anymore.

At the Pest infested farm down the road from me I did get one in the farmers machine shed. I to am sorry for no photo. I have a .22 mrod and I agree, head shot head shot head shot. Even with the .177 like you mentioned :D These mrods are the cats A== !!!!
Lyle

Postby DaveShooter on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:41 am

Lyle wrote:Good Job :twisted: I to do not care for raccoons. I was bowhunting one time when I was young and sat on the ground by a dead tree. I did not think of it being hollow but it was. Just at dusk I heard some scratching and bark dropped from the tree down my shirt. I turned to look up the tree and there to my surprise was a huge coon about five feet from my face growling and snarling at me. I sprung to my feet an ran like a scared little rabbit. Scince then I see one and I make every attempt to dispatch it. Here where I live we have tons of coon for the trappers and coon hunters do not hunt them like years past.Just dont get much for them anymore.

At the Pest infested farm down the road from me I did get one in the farmers machine shed. I to am sorry for no photo. I have a .22 mrod and I agree, head shot head shot head shot. Even with the .177 like you mentioned :D These mrods are the cats A== !!!!
Lyle, would of loved to of been their . No offense I would of laughed so hard at that picture of you and that Po coon. I know a guy whom went up a tree in day time and pulled one out of its denn that thing liked to eat him alive. Man ya talking about screaming and jumping around like a wild man after he hit the ground the guy that is. I guess he learned his leason about messing with them critters. We use to trap'em when I was younger, good o'le times til the bottom went out of the fur market. :D
DaveShooter

Postby DaveShooter on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:42 am

dogwood wrote:Saturday evening around 8 O clock I looked out the front door to see a Coon wandering across our front yard (I live in a heavily wood area)
I jumped up and grabbed the .22 marauder, loaded a Kodiak and headed out the door, he hadn't gone far..

Once he notice my presence he sprint off about 25 yards then made the mistake of stopping and looking to see what I was doing. :twisted:

Sorry no pictures.
Way to go Dogwood :D
DaveShooter

Postby Lyle on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:06 pm

Daveshooter:
When I think back on it, it is funny,I laught also but at the time I was scare shitless. I still remember those teeth and that deep growl. If only I had a Marauder then,that pelt would have brought $40.00
Lyle

Postby DaveShooter on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:57 am

Lyle wrote:Daveshooter:
When I think back on it, it is funny,I laught also but at the time I was scare shitless. I still remember those teeth and that deep growl. If only I had a Marauder then,that pelt would have brought $40.00
I know what ya mean. Sorry took me so long to post back at ya...... 40.00 is a good price on a pelt for sure..... :D :D :D
DaveShooter

Return to Hunting - Warning Graphic Pictures!