Trying to get a budget together, need help!

Information about fill options for PCP air guns.

Trying to get a budget together, need help!

Postby Point Doc on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:46 pm

The Marauder best deal I can locate, but this is where I get lost is on refilling. Do I use compressed air, co2 or nitrogen? I have the understanding that the Marauder max setting for air is 3k, co2 is 2k and so what is the gun to be filled to using nitrogen?

I think I will rent a large tank from a local weld store and then what is needed? What is a piglet?

If I can't get this figured out and budgeted, I will not pursue this.

Thanks,
John
Point Doc

Re: Trying to get a budget together, need help!

Postby Walx on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:03 pm

In my opinion the nitrogen setup would cost way too much. The tank rental is kinda high when I called the welding place. The place I called rented by the week and I think it was like 37 a week. They only rented the tank so I would have to buy the regulator and hoses need. All that after I priced it out was about 600 so that was out of the question. The co2 offers too low of pressure for me so that was out. I opted for the scuba tank. You should be able to get a new tank and hose setup for about 300. You can find a used tank for a little cheaper if you look but if the tank hasn't been tested recently you would have to pay to have that done which is about 50 from the guy I use. The scba tank is another option and you can find packages and prices for this at air tanks for sale .com I believe the site is. Hopes this helps a little and I'm sure some others will give other options and opinions.
Walx

Postby shaggist on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:48 pm

I have 2-80 cu. ft, 3500 psi, Scuba tanks, which I obtained from my local dive shop. He also fills tanks for the paintball crowd, and these are 2 tanks marked ' paintball only'. I bought the hose assembly from Joe Brancato at 'airtanksforsale.com', who has every type of hose assembly/fitting you can imagine for using tanks to fill the Marauder. Compressed air from the dive shop is filtered and dried, so that you won't be getting condensation in the air reservoir when you fill it. It is, therefore, the best to use.
CO2 is a pain to use, because it changes from a liquid in your reservoir to a gas, which then powers the gun. This state change from liquid to gas means that the pressure will change from shot to shot, and will be affected by the temperature of the air chamber and the outside air.

The N2 setup from the welders supply is way too expensive and way too heavy to be able to take with you when you go to shoot targets or hunting. The full size N2 tank was quoted to me as weighing several hundred pounds and is too big to fit in my car. That's out.

I believe a 'piglet' is a name for a AL/carbon fiber tank, from whom I don't know.
shaggist

Postby twohsieh on Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:39 am

30 min 44cu ft, 45 min 66 cu ft and 88 cu ft SCBA tanks are the way to go in my opinion. use the shot fill calculator to calculate number of fills for each tank fill.
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks/FillCalc.html
Used one can go from $100 to $300 usually.

twohsieh

Return to Tanks & Pumps