Can't fit hand pump connector to new gun :(

Information about fill options for PCP air guns.

Can't fit hand pump connector to new gun :(

Postby 22marauder22 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:12 am

This must not be a common problem. I have not seen any discussion of it anywhere.

I just received my Benjamin Marauder in .22 plus this Benjamin high pressure three stage pump which is reportedly the specific pump for the Marauder.
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/ ... Id=4102117

However . . . I cannot fit the brass connector on the pump hose to the filling nipple on the gun.

I am quite familiar with this sort of connector from working with air hoses and hydraulic lines. The filling hose has the female part. It has a sliding ring the allows the small round BB's to retract into the connector and to allow it to slide onto the nipple (male connector) on the gun.

Here is what happens. The brass ring slides back and all the BB's move freely into the connector. It slides onto the nipple easily and seems to slide far enough to where the groove in the nipple would accept the BB's, allowing the collar to slide forward and lock the connector. However, I cannot get the collar to slide back to locking position with the female connector on the nipple connector of the gun. And I have pushed really hard even with all my weight with the gun in the vertical position with someone holding the pump up. It is like it either needs to slide just a tiny bit more or there is something impeding the seating of the BB's into the nipple. I have about worn out my hands, even with leather gloves.

I have tried pumping without seating the connector and it just pops off of course after about 30 pumps. Another issue (hope not) is that after filling with the small amount of air, I hear that small amount hissing from the gun until it is gone.

Well, first need to solve the connector problem. Wish I had bought from PyramidAir and I could call them about it. They have been great with other purchases. But they were out of this model and I had to buy from Amazon.

d 3 j 5 w a @ yahoo

Change the 3 to e and change the 5 to s and remove spaces for my email.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for reading.
22marauder22

Re: Can't fit hand pump connector to new gun :(

Postby Bruce Jarrett on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:33 am

Call Crosman 800-724-7486 or Sun Optic that makes the pumps 817-783-6433 Check for burrs on the male fitting on the gun. Problem could be on either fitting.
Last edited by Bruce Jarrett on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Jarrett

Postby tkerrigan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:38 am

I had the same problem, the business end of the male nipple wasn't rounded off and wouldn't insert far enough into the coupler. I chucked it in a drill and broke the edge with a fine file. Worked fine.
tkerrigan

Postby 22marauder22 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I think the male quick connect on the gun is defective.

Here is a close up pic of the filling nipple.

Note the red section. I think it is supposed to be the same size as the blue section. Instead, it is maybe 5/1000 smaller than the section between the red and blue.

Can someone please look at their gun and tell me if their fill port looks like this or even close?

Thanks!
Last edited by 22marauder22 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22marauder22

Postby tkerrigan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:08 pm

The top corner just above the red marks should be rounded off slightly, doesn't take much. Chuck it in the drill and file it or get another one.
tkerrigan

Postby Bruce Jarrett on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Mine looks like what tkerrigan is describing , rounded at top. Blue area on mine is a lot deeper then Red area.
Bruce Jarrett

Postby 22marauder22 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks guys for the tips.

I just want to confirm. I should remove the male piece from the gun to work on it?

I have worked with lots of air fittings like this. Just put some teflon tape on the piece and reinsert it?

My concern might be that I might have a leak if I reinstalled it improperly because of the extremely high pressure.

Regards . . .
22marauder22

Postby 22marauder22 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:20 am

I did manage to fix this problem and will post some pics later.

As per the above suggestions, I removed the air fitting on the gun and put it into a drill chuck. Then I ground it with the drill on a metal file at a 45 degree angle plus rounded off the tip a bit. Initially it was not quite enough, so I ground some more until it the female fitting just managed to click onto the adapter, not wanting to overdo it and cause a leak.

Thanks again. Was a bit of a hassle. I doubt if the manufacturer had tested the gun prior to shipping or they would have detected this problem. There was another problem that I had to address, but will post another topic - low pressure air release stuck - had to hook up to air compressor to get enough of an air impulse to seal this 'feature'. Unable to do so with the low volume pump. Would not have been a problem using a fill tank, I imagine.

Crossman had identified this as a failure of the gun and had suggested that I return the gun, but an email from the shipper correctly identified this problem.

"The issue with the hissing is a safety feature. When the gun gets below a certain psi it will release the air in the chamber."

The first time you fill the gun you will have to either use a tank or air compressor because you cannot get past the sealing pressure with a hand pump. I wore myself out trying. Make an adapter with a 3/8" tubing and put it onto the gun and onto the output of an air tank / compressor to get up to sealing pressure quickly else it will just keep leaking when pumping with the hand pump and you won't get to the critical pressure.

After that you shouldn't ever get the pressure that low again and probably won't have to repeat this maneuver.
22marauder22

Postby Bruce Jarrett on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks for the info about the difficulty in starting from 0 psi with a hand pump. I was wanting to clean my air tank on the gun because I know there is probably water in my air tank from using the hand pump before I added a filter. I guess I will hold off until I get equipment to do the initial fill.
Bruce Jarrett

Return to Tanks & Pumps