Questions about my filling options

Information about fill options for PCP air guns.

Questions about my filling options

Postby graphikone on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:52 am

Hi guys first post..

I have been researching the Marauder off and on for a few months now and now I'm about ready to pull the trigger (pun intended).

Heres what on my order list:

Marauder in .22 cal
CenterPoint Power Class 3-12x44AO Compact Rifle Scope, Mil-Dot Reticle, 30mm Tube
2 Crossman Marauder Magazines
AccuShot Premium High Airgun .22 30mm Rings (not sure if I can fit the scope with medium high rings and clip accessibility?)
Beeman crow .22 ammo

Ok now heres the part where I'm unclear..
I have a large air compressor in my workshop and was under the assumption I could buy the correct attachment to the marauder nipple and fill it up to correct pressure.
From what I'm reading on the site it sounds like people are buying $400 carbon fiber tanks and making runs to the scuba store.
I'm definitely not going to drop another $500 to feed this gun not to mention the hassle of running all over town for fills.

Please let me know if this is possible because this could be a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance,

-Josh
graphikone

Re: Questions about my filling options

Postby wahoowad on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:42 am

Hate to burst your bubble but your home compressor isn't going to work unless it can generate 3000 psi. It takes a special compressor to do that (which exist for airgunners - google/search for more info on 'shoebox compressor').

Some people buy fireman style carbon fiber tanks that can hold very high 4500 psi air pressure, these can provide a lot of refills for your Marauder. But you have to ensure you can get these special tanks filled somewhere local to you. Most of us use regular scuba tanks that can be easily filled at the local scuba shop. Option 3 is a special hand pump but that is a lot of work to pump it up by hand. Many complain of being out of breath and unable to aim straight after using one.

I recommend you quickly read these 2 links (a 2 part series) to understand about using scuba tanks:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/12/ ... art-1.html
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/12/ ... art-2.html
wahoowad

Postby Supercharged86 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:38 am

Hi Josh, Hopefully you'll go thru with it, unfortunately the air source is part of the investment. Anyway, if you do bite the bullet, I'd recommend going with a shorter ring height for that 44mm AO. Take a look at this post I did a while back it discusses ring height vs. objective lens size; viewtopic.php?f=16&t=808. There's nothing worse than a high mounted scope that you have to "reach" for with your eye, throws everything else off. Check the specs from the manufactures, rings heights are not all the same across the board (measured in mm). The lowest height possible will be much more comfortable and improve your shooting. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby graphikone on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks for the quick reply's.

I think I'm going to go with the medium height rings because I HATE high scopes with a passion.

Heres my next question..

We have a workshop here on our ranch with an acetylene torch and other welding equipment.
We get regular deliveries of large acetylene bottles and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to have the delivery guys drop off a huge iron bottle of Co2.

Could I use this co2 to fill my gun?

Please advise.

Thanks guys,

-Josh
graphikone

Postby Supercharged86 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Yes Josh, the Mrod will run on CO2, to a max pressure of 2000 psi. Unfortunately all the instructions for running on CO2 do not come in the regular owner's manual, they are instead included with the Crosman CO2 adapters. If your going to use bulk size tanks (H, T, etc) your going to need a special adapter. If you need help with this contact Joe @ http://www.AirTanksForSale.com. Good luck. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Return to Tanks & Pumps