SCBA WARNING!

Information about fill options for PCP air guns.

SCBA WARNING!

Postby Supercharged86 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Hey Guys, Just thought I'd pass along some information for those looking to purchase a used SCBA bottle from eBay, etc. Be sure that the bottle has a current hydro test cert. More over, if the bottle is nearing it's 15 yr shelf life, be sure the current hydro test will take it to the end, otherwise you could be left with a useless bottle (not useless, but not one that's been tested for your safety). Many of the bottles found on eBay, etc. have expired hydro certs and if the bottle has less than 5 years left on it's shelf life, there's a very very good chance it won't get passed. The reason being is because hydro test service companies don't want to be libel for bottles being used past their intended shelf life. For example, a bottle has 1 1/2 yrs left on it's shelf life but has an expired hydro test, the owner may think that because it gets a new 5 yr hydro cert that it can be used for 3 1/2 yrs past it's intended use. This is not the case. This is not to say that "all" hydro services will do busines this way. This has only been my experience so far, with my own. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Re: SCBA WARNING!

Postby BamaFan on Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 am

Supercharged86 wrote:Hey Guys, Just thought I'd pass along some information for those looking to purchase a used SCBA bottle from eBay, etc. Be sure that the bottle has a current hydro test cert. More over, if the bottle is nearing it's 15 yr shelf life, be sure the current hydro test will take it to the end, otherwise you could be left with a useless bottle (not useless, but not one that's been tested for your safety). Many of the bottles found on eBay, etc. have expired hydro certs and if the bottle has less than 5 years left on it's shelf life, there's a very very good chance it won't get passed. The reason being is because hydro test service companies don't want to be libel for bottles being used past their intended shelf life. For example, a bottle has 1 1/2 yrs left on it's shelf life but has an expired hydro test, the owner may think that because it gets a new 5 yr hydro cert that it can be used for 3 1/2 yrs past it's intended use. This is not the case. This is not to say that "all" hydro services will do busines this way. This has only been my experience so far, with my own. Cheers. Steve

I agree totally with Steve here. I was recently given a bottle for free and when I called a couple of testers they said they would not touch it for liability reasons (it was past 15 yr service life) even though it was not going to be used for breathing purposes. One of them even told me if it is inside the last five years he would not test it either since it could be used past its past its intended service life. I have been looking at a couple of ebay auctions. I have contacted sellers who do not show a current hydro and many of them are not willing to get it tested even if I have offered to pay the difference for the testing. I would hate to speculate why. (Maybe cause they know there is a possibility it might fail) Just beware if it does not come with a current hydro or if it is near its service life.
BamaFan

Re: SCBA WARNING!

Postby twohsieh on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:53 pm

tanks that were built after i think 4 2001 need a hydrotest once every 5 years. tanks prior to that need one every three years. for example if you buy tank made on 4-99, its end of life is 4-2014, that gives you about 3 years and 5 months from this date of life. shops that do hydro testing, know that these tanks need hydro every three years and the hydro only lasts 3 years. so they will hydro this within the next 5 months. so as of fight now tanks made before 11-1998 are the one that are not going to get rehydroed. everything else will get rehydroed. so tanks made after 4-2001, if you own one, get it rehydroed 5 year and one day prior to its lifespan, and you can get it filled until the end of its total 15 year life.
hope that helps
twohsieh

Return to Tanks & Pumps