Tether a SCUBA or SCBA tank to the PCP airgun for more shots

Information about fill options for PCP air guns.

Tether a SCUBA or SCBA tank to the PCP airgun for more shots

Postby sacshooter on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:31 am

My friend Jeff and I were dreaming about spending $375 on a high pressure regulator so we can leave our 4500 psi bottles connected to our airguns when we shoot squirrels. Because it sucks to have to stop, get up grab the air tank to fill the gun after the gun gets low on air. He called me the other day and ran his idea by me, and asked if I thought it would work.

I said Oh Yea!!!!

I proved it at the Sacramento airgun fun shoot!

The .25 Marauder air rifle likes a charge of 3000 psi for about 18 good shots. Once the 3500 psi tank was down to 2800, I just left it attached with the valve cracked open slightly.

We left it connected and ran over 300 shots through it no problem.

This is cool for us plinkers, and shooting stand shooters, and it brings the PCP sport to a whole new level ;)

Here is the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeeJ6OQzTAc

Roger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sacshooter aka Site Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sacshooter

Re: Tether a SCUBA or SCBA tank to the PCP airgun for more shots

Postby Supercharged86 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:54 am

Yeap works like a charm, basically started doing this a few months ago. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=390 But unfortunately when it's unregulated, It's only truely effective when your tuned for a given tank pressure. But easier none-the-less :D
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby alhefner on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Pretty neat idea for target shooting but I don't think I would be too keen on it for hunting.
alhefner

Postby rbolton6 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Been using this same setup with my 3000 PSI Scuba tank for quite awhile now.
Works like a dream. Just leave the whip hose attached to the gun and the valve on the tank slightly open.
I can shoot the 25 cal Mrod just about all day and the scuba tank pressure barely drops.
I am loving it !

When the 3k scuba tank gets a little low I just refill it from the 4500 carbon tank and I'm good to go again.

Anyone tried one of Tom's new Shoebox compressors yet ?

I am thinking of getting on the waiting list for one to complete the entire setup :D
rbolton6

Postby RayK on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:48 pm

My buddy bought the external presssure regulator from Joe who made both our connector/fill hoses.

It really is a great setup. He has the 4500psi SCBA tank and rarely needs to fill. He mostly shoots at targets, so he leaves his connected to the tank all the time.
It also yields very consistent groups since the pressure is very consistent.

I went the cheaper route, but leave my 19 cubic foot pony (3000 psi max) teathered to my marauder and can shoot 300 pellets before it gets down to 2000 psi.

I can also fill from my 3500 high pressure steel tank (120 cubic feet), but that thing is very heavy to lug around. I leave it teathered and just add a shot of air whenever I get down to 2000 psi. When that tank gets down to 3000 psi, I just leave the valve open and can shoot for very long periods of time. I shot about 200 pellets and only noticed a drop of about 100 psi on that large tank.

Ray
RayK

Return to Tanks & Pumps