Non-DOT scuba tanks

Information about fill options for PCP air guns.

Non-DOT scuba tanks

Postby tmitch4570 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:19 pm

Does anyone know the regulations are on filling scuba tanks? I found some 100cf 3365psi steel scuba tanks for a good price, however they are not DOT rated. Does this matter as long as the hydro and visual tests are up to date? They're not much good if I can't get 'em filled.
Last edited by tmitch4570 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmitch4570

Re: Non-DOT scuba tanks

Postby wlambert on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Check with your local dive shop. They are the people that you have to make happy.

wlambert
wlambert

Postby tmitch4570 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:48 pm

I checked with the local shops. Dive shop won't fill, painball shop will.... go figure.
tmitch4570

Postby oletom on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:18 pm

dive shop may fill if u put a non scuba use sticker on tank....won't hurt to ask.....
oletom

Postby tmitch4570 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:08 pm

oletom wrote:dive shop may fill if u put a non scuba use sticker on tank....won't hurt to ask.....

I decided to go ahead and buy the tank since I can at least get it filled at the painball shop. The dive shop I called seemed to be confused about my "non-DOT rated" tank description, saying at first there is no such thing. I figured after I got it I would take it over to them and see what they say. I remember another post about the non-scuba sticker, is there a sorce for them? I would rather have the dive shop fill it, they only charge $6 per fill and the painball shop charges $11. Now I have to get a fill adapter & hose. Are the ones Pyramid sells any good? They're half the cost of the ones Joe's air tanks sell.
tmitch4570

Postby wlambert on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:18 am

tmitch4570 wrote:
oletom wrote:dive shop may fill if u put a non scuba use sticker on tank....won't hurt to ask.....

I remember another post about the non-scuba sticker, is there a sorce for them?

The dive shop should have the sticker. That is where I got mine. It is a sticker, but it is HUGE. It is at least 8" high and goes all the way around an 80 cu. ft. tank. They do that so that if you are out in a boat, people will be able to see it a long way off. The sticker cost me around $10.00.

The dive shop will probably have the K valve in stock also. Don't know what they cost. It was included in the price of the tank.

wlambert
wlambert

Postby tmitch4570 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:18 am

wlambert wrote:
tmitch4570 wrote:

I remember another post about the non-scuba sticker, is there a sorce for them?

The dive shop should have the sticker. That is where I got mine. It is a sticker, but it is HUGE. It is at least 8" high and goes all the way around an 80 cu. ft. tank. They do that so that if you are out in a boat, people will be able to see it a long way off. The sticker cost me around $10.00.

The dive shop will probably have the K valve in stock also. Don't know what they cost. It was included in the price of the tank.

wlambert

I will check with the dive shop when I get the tank. The tank comes with a "Convertible K valve" that I assume accepts either a yoke or DIN style connecter. Now I just need the connecter/guage/bleeder/hose/Foster QD to hook it to my Marauder. Joe's Air Tanks wants $170 and Pyramid has them for $70-90. Are Joe's worth the extra $100? There are some Chinese addapters on Ebay for $20 but I don't think I'd trust them... 3400 psi scares me
tmitch4570

Postby ssscottg on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:35 pm

wlambert,

wlambert wrote:Pyramid has them for $70-90.

I bought the black one on the Pyrimyd site. It's made for a K valve and has a 8 inch hose. Its a quality piece that should last several years. I reccomend it.

Regards,
Scott
ssscottg

Postby tmitch4570 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm

[/quote]
I bought the black one on the Pyrimyd site. It's made for a K valve and has a 8 inch hose. Its a quality piece that should last several years. I reccomend it.

Regards,
Scott[/quote]
PA has one by Kingman and one by Airforce for the K valve. The Airforce comes with a quick disconnect adaptor but I don't know if it's the right size for the Marauder. Guess I'll have to give 'em a call.

Thanks for your help, Tom
tmitch4570

Postby hawkeye on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:53 pm

tmitch4570 wrote:

Regards,
Scott[/quote]
PA has one by Kingman and one by Airforce for the K valve. The Airforce comes with a quick disconnect adaptor but I don't know if it's the right size for the Marauder. Guess I'll have to give 'em a call.

Thanks for your help, Tom[/quote]

Tom,

I just purchased the Kingman connector and you need a 1EM1B female quick disconnect adapter with that unit. I can't speak for the Airforce connecter.

Tom
hawkeye

Next

Return to Tanks & Pumps