Pyramyd air suggested SCUBA fill adapter..

Information about fill options for PCP air guns.

Pyramyd air suggested SCUBA fill adapter..

Postby alhefner on Mon May 03, 2010 3:25 pm

Well, I got tired of filling with the hand pump during long shooting days. It's great exercise but having to rest for several minutes before I can actually shoot after filling was getting to me.

Any way, I bought a SCUBA tank and ordered a fill adapter from Pyramyd. The one they sent is machined from a block of aluminum and the machining is pretty sloppy. The pressure release valve does not seat fully so no matter what you do, some air leaks out during a fill. The hose is only about 1 foot in length but that seems to be some sort of unofficial standard...not sure why.

Today, I went back to the SCUBA shop and got a stainless steel valve assembly then went straight to my local "Parker hose" retailer and had them make up a 3 foot hose rated to 6000 PSI. Now I can fill without so much loss from a badly seated valve. It was expensive! The fill yoke cost $100 and the hose another $25 but I think it's worth it.

Hope this helps someone trying to decide on adapters and yokes.
alhefner

Re: Pyramyd air suggested SCUBA fill adapter..

Postby Supercharged86 on Mon May 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Hey Al, I know it's a little late now, but did you look here http://www.hamcontact.com/airgun/HoseAssembly/ during your search? Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby alhefner on Mon May 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Steve, I just kind of threw up my hands and then remembered the sources I had during my days as an industrial maintenance mechanic. Said to myself "Hey, SCUBA shops got yokes and I know where to get high pressure hoses and fittings soo...." Anyway, when I got the hose made up, the guy asked how big the diameter needed to be and I told him "Smaller is better" knowing that the smaller the inside of the hose, the less air I waste when I let off pressure.

I ended up with a very small diameter hose, rated to 6000 PSI, 3 feet long and super flexible! Works great!

I'll be heading out about 5AM for 3 days of camping. Taking the .25 Mrod and my .22 Disco. Might take the CO2 pistol and .22 also. Who knows? Might see a blacktail jack for my campfire! Got to cook em good this time of year though...might end up with rabbit flavored shoe leather. :mrgreen:
alhefner

Postby wlambert on Tue May 04, 2010 3:39 pm

I bought the unit from Airguns of Arizona. It cost a little more, but I wanted the larger gauge. It is easy to read. It is a nice unit, and the release valve works fine, but the hose is short. It is very awkward to use with the Marauder and an 80 cu ft tank.

wlambert
wlambert

Postby ssscottg on Tue May 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Wlambert,

Try this for an extention. :D
8-)
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAINTBALL-BRAND-NEW ... 5190dd4e43

It's a 2 foot extension. It will allow you to target shoot while directly connected to your SCUBA tank. Use it when your SCUBA pressure is at or below your desired fill pressure. Rated for 4500 PSI.

Regards,
Scott
ssscottg

Postby wlambert on Fri May 07, 2010 5:54 pm

ssscottg wrote:Wlambert,

Try this for an extention. :D
8-)
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAINTBALL-BRAND-NEW ... 5190dd4e43

It's a 2 foot extension. It will allow you to target shoot while directly connected to your SCUBA tank. Use it when your SCUBA pressure is at or below your desired fill pressure. Rated for 4500 PSI.

Regards,
Scott

Thanks Scott. I am going to have to look into that. The one that came with the adapter is soooooo short.

wlambert
wlambert

Postby Supercharged86 on Sat May 08, 2010 7:00 am

Isn't it amazing, the cheapest part of the whole rig is the hose, you would think they could give you something you can work with. What was the idiot thinking when he threw the whole thing together to sell, "I think 12" of hose should be long enough". :roll:
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby alhefner on Sat May 08, 2010 7:32 am

:D So true! When I got it and hooked it up to my tank, it became VERY clear that filling would be a bit of a pain. The 3' hose I have now really makes filling easy.

The idea of skimping to lower cost can go a bit too far.
alhefner

Return to Tanks & Pumps