22 cal mrod on co2

Information about fill options for PCP air guns.

22 cal mrod on co2

Postby SilverWolf229 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm using co2 as I can't afford a air tank yet. Getting about 4 clips per fill at stock settings. I orignally bought a 20oz tank from Dicks and couldn't for the life of me why I couldn't get it to fill past 500psi. Come to find out they didn't fill the tank but to maby 5ozs. Was thinking the mrod had a problem. Got the tank checked out and filled at a paintball shop and its fine. Had a check valve installed in the fill adapter so I don't loose all the air from the line. Any sugestions welcomed
.22 MRod w Hawke Sport-HD IR 3-9x40
SilverWolf229

Re: 22 cal mrod on co2

Postby SHOOTINIT » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:54 pm

co2 only get to about 800 on a hot day...co2 isn't a high pressure gas like air or nitrogen..
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Re: 22 cal mrod on co2

Postby hill » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:57 am

40 shots is good. Charge the Marauder Rifle with about 1-2 ounces at a time. Anymore and you will chance blowing out liquid CO2 (wasting).

They don't fill tanks with liquid CO2 all the way, for safety reasons, they have to allow for expansion and contraction at different temperatures (higher temperature = higher pressure).

CO2 is more temperature sensitive when compared to air http://www.weatherquestions.com/air_components.jpg or Nitrogen only. This can cause Point Of Impact changes when shooting at different temperatures. Where your POI may be on at say a 60 degree day, the pellet will probably impact higher on a 90 degree day, and vice versa. Knowing that, you can then compensate by adding UP or DOWN clicks on your scope as needed, or by aiming a little higher or lower. Knowing how much comes with experience.

If you can find a used bulk tank, like some restaurants or convenience stores use, something like these:
http://www.micromatic.com/beer-question ... id-89.html
you can have them refilled at your local fire extinguisher shop for about $1.20 per pound. These tanks can be heavy, so try to find one locally to avoid shipping charges. These tanks can last a very long time before needing to be refilled.

Since CO2 is denser than air or nitrogen alone, you will need to open up your Valve Metering Screw (see owners manual http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/BP17 ... -%20OM.pdf) Remove the stock, then with a 5/64" hex wrench, first remove the jam set screw by turning it Counter Clockwise, then turn the V.M.S. screw Clockwise (be sure to count the number of turns so you can adjust back to the same setting later if you need to) until it stops, then turn the screw Counter Clockwise 4-1/2 turns, now the flow should be fully unrestricted.

I would also recommend making hammer stroke and hammer preload adjustments in order to prevent excess noise and waste of the CO2. If you don't have a chronograph, I would recommend a setting (remember to count the turns and make a note in case you want to return to the factory settings) of CCW until stops, on the Hammer Spring Preload (1/4") and 12 CW on the Hammer Stroke (1/8"). If you want to increase the velocity, adjust the Hammer Spring Preload CW 1/2 turn at a time but no more than 2 total. Again without the aid of a chronograph, you will have to decide what is acceptable.

Hope this helps :) :)

hill

Return to Tanks & Pumps