Floating Barrel

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

Floating Barrel

Postby ZipGun » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:01 pm

I see that the Marauder rifle comes from the factory with a Floating Barrel. I also see that at least one aftermarket manufacturer offers a barrel band replacement that eliminates the Floating effect claiming it improves accuracy. Has anyone ever tested this out? Does it really work or is it just another gimmick to float about Fifty bucks from your wallet to theirs? I would be inclined to think that the Floating Barrel was put there on purpose and shouldn't be eliminated.

Thanks,

ZipGun
ZipGun

Re: Floating Barrel

Postby SHOOTINIT » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:05 pm

floating is better as long as you don't ever push on the barrel..
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby oldpro » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:51 pm

I have several hundred customers that will disagree with floating the barrel including myself. The biggest problem with floating the barrel is it will change POI due to the fact the barrel is supporting itself and the shroud and baffles. Also temperature will cause fluctuations in POI, as the temp rises the barrel relaxes and droops and when cold it stiffens and POI shifts. And in time you will also see the barrel droop down to the point it will rest on the stock barrel band thus its not floating anymore and what ever you do don't rest your gun against a wall or anything that will move the floating barrel or once again POI shift. Floating a barrel is a good idea when its done right but that's not the case with the Marauder.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For WAR products, please visit my vendor shop on the Marauder Forum http://www.marauderairrifle.com/shops/w ... ir-rifles/
oldpro

Postby Doc » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:57 pm

The barrel does not hold the shroud and baffles up unless the shroud is loose. Flip side of that is if the shroud is not square with the breach and barrel when tight it can push on the barrel causing accuracy issues. Fixing it to the air tube can also cause accuracy issues if the air tube moves which it does with pressure and temperature changes as well as stock changes. What Crosman really needs to do is use a better larger diameter barrel fully floated. The .25's have a larger diameter barrel and you dont hear near the complaints about POI shift.
Doc

Postby AlanMcD » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:34 pm

I will say that I agree with both Doc and Oldpro as they are saying the same thing from different sides.

I have tested securing the shroud inside the barrel band using a rigid internal front shroud mount (made by GardenSniper a long time ago) and an aluminum space between the barrel band and the shroud on my .22. When tested on my factory barrel it did improve accuracy, but when tested on an LW barrel it did not help and probably hurt. That said, I do think the rigid internal shroud mount will always help as it makes the barrel/shroud interface that much more consistent (plus has the added benefit of being more efficient at getting air into the rear of the shroud than the factory mount).

It is important to note that the factory .22 barrel is the thinnest walled barrel of all three, so that is the one that unfloating has probably the best chance of improving things.
AlanMcD

Postby wimpanzee » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:40 am

I have an afermarket hammer forged barrel on mine, with a set screw barrel band - all from jim gaska.

Did it eliminate poi shift? not completely - but it is much, much better.

The thing is, I take my marauder out in the woods all the time. I lean it against trees, logs, etc, and the floating barrel would suffer greatly unless I rested it only against the barrel band - which was often difficult or impossible to easily do in the field. Now, with the SSBB, I can lean it, pick it up however I want, lay it down without worrying about tension against the barrel. I find it more reliable.
wimpanzee

Postby Garden Sniper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Zipgun, what cal. are you working with ? I have a few pieces from the first batch and can send you at No Charge if i have what you need. P.M. when your allowed.
Garden Sniper

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions