major air leak

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

major air leak

Postby Bellman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:03 pm

Short story. I've got a W.A.R. tuned .25 synrod with all the W.A.R. parts and mods. I've been more than pleased with what Travis sent me. Last night I shot a couple of strings starting at +/- 2700 psi. No problems, 25gr kings blow holes right through 3/4" plywood. I left it at roughly 2000 psi and put it in my car to bring to work with me. The boss's kid stopped by so I pumped it back up to about 2700 and we went outside and fired one mag. It was dead on and everything seemed fine until I looked at the gauge. I was all the way down to around 750psi. I should have been down 3-400psi. The foster fitting is good, I removed shroud and it looked like the machined piece w/a set screw was not flush with breech. I loosened it lubed the oring and reinstalled the piece with the oring flush against the breech. Checked every thing I could think of and went to refill. I was able to hear escaping and it turns out that it's coming out of the bore/shroud. If you put your finger over the end of the muzzle the leak stops. I'm not super savvy about the full nomenclature of the rifle, but it seems that a valve or something between the reservoir and the barrel is open where it's normally closed. I'm sure when I look at the manual it'll be obvious, but right now I'm stumped. The only wildcard in all of this is the W.A.R. valve, hammer, and tuning. I don't think that's a factor, but I mention it in case it could be playing a role. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm sure it's the simplest thing ever, but I'm lost at the moment.

Charles
Bellman

Re: major air leak

Postby Bellman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:31 pm

I finally got in touch with Travis and he thought that I likely shot it down low enough that it wouldn't seal and just dumped the remaining air. He also thought that I I might not be able to get enough volume of air at pressure with a pump to get enough pressure to close the valve. That seemed to make sense, but I was able to connect to a tank and get to 3k quickly and then listen as all my air leaked out. With the bolt closed the leak only comes out the muzzle. If the bolt is opened, air comes out the breech and muzzle. Any ideas about where I should look first? Thanks.

Charles
Bellman

Postby oldpro » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:49 pm

I would fill it as high as possible then start shooting it, dump a few clips threw it. Then fill again and shoot two more magazines threw it. Most likely you shoot it down to low and because the valve is new it has not fully broke in and needs to reseat itself. If that doesnt work call me but it normally does. Once the valve breaks in its not a problem shooting it down to empty. Also does it cycle and fire normally outside of it holding air?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For WAR products, please visit my vendor shop on the Marauder Forum http://www.marauderairrifle.com/shops/w ... ir-rifles/
oldpro

Postby Bellman » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:30 am

oldpro wrote:I would fill it as high as possible then start shooting it, dump a few clips threw it. Then fill again and shoot two more magazines threw it. Most likely you shoot it down to low and because the valve is new it has not fully broke in and needs to reseat itself. If that doesnt work call me but it normally does. Once the valve breaks in its not a problem shooting it down to empty. Also does it cycle and fire normally outside of it holding air?

It cycles and fires perfectly other than leaking like a seive. VERY quietly and accurately. I'm willing to try what your suggesting. I've got access to my uncle's tank all weekend so I don't have anything to lose by trying that first. The only thing that makes me have some doubt about that being the problem is that I filled the gun to my normal 3k right before we fired a single 8 shot string. I've been getting 3+ strings from the same fill and it was holding around 2k(gauge) overnight right before I topped it off and it was holding air until we fired 8 rounds. Instead of dropping a few hundred psi, the gauge read 750psi. Also, I didn't personally hear it, but the kid firing it said later that he heard air leaking out of the chamber area every time he cycled the bolt. Don't know if that points in any other direction, but maybe it'll mean something to you. Whatever it turns out to be I'm sure it'll be something simple. FWIW, in case anyone is paying attention, the work that Travis did was excellent and was actually ahead of schedule in spite of me having to return and reorder several pieces. I'm getting the strings I wanted and there can't be many rifles out there that are even close to how quiet mine is. It essentially doesn't make noise at all. Thanks again. I'll get you some pics of the LDC with the changes I made.
Bellman

Postby AwesomeAnt » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:50 am

I had a similar situation when I first got my WAR tuned Mrod. I depressurized it before i shot it. It took several hundred pellets before everything restabilized. It's all good now. Was a bit frustrating at first though. You'll love the flexibility of your gun now.
Weaponized Mrod .25 Hawke tac30 6.5-20x42
Prod Rapid70 WAR NBH Leapers 3-12 SWAT etched
Brocock Concept Super 6 Leapers 3-9x40
AwesomeAnt

Postby SHOOTINIT » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:24 am

piece of crap under the valve..pump it all the way up and use your degaser to try to blow it out..faster flow the better
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions