Erratic first stage on trigger

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

Erratic first stage on trigger

Postby Fr3d » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:20 am

I have a new Mrod (mk1 wood stock) and I have put about half a tin of pellets through her. Trigger is untouched from factory but lately I have noticed an erratic first stage. Catches me by surprise when the shot goes off early so now I keep the safety on till the last moment.
I assumed that all I needed to cock the gun more securely, now I make sure to pull the bolt all the way back firmly but it still happens about once every 20 shots.
Yesterday I was stalking up on some starlings and I make sure the safety was on until I'm ready to take the shot. Just in case there isn't going to be a first stage on this shot. I didn't line up the shot and was ready to move off, so I checked the safety was on and then touched the trigger and the shot went off!!

Can anybody please give me some advice where on the trigger to look for the problem?
Fr3d

Re: Erratic first stage on trigger

Postby SHOOTINIT » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:46 am

MANY PEOPLE THROUGH THE FIRST STAGE SCREW WERE IT BELONGS.. IN THE TRASH.
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby Doc » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 am

SHOOTINIT wrote:MANY PEOPLE THROUGH THE FIRST STAGE SCREW WERE IT BELONGS.. IN THE TRASH.

X2 I dont know how two stage triggers came to be popular but you dont see any bench rest shooter or snipers using them. They lead to more anticipation and missed shots. I hate them and will never have one. The first mod I made to my marauder was to eliminate the first stage. You dont need another point of safety. The gun already has two and the operator is also one. First it has to be cocked then you have manual safety in front of the trigger. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Never point a gun at something you dont intend to shoot.
Doc

Postby AlanMcD » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:43 am

If I read your second paragraph correctly, it sounds like you never took the gun off safety but it still fired when you touched the trigger? I know of no way that this could happen without defective parts.

If new you might want to consider having Crosman service it. Otherwise, there are some fine trigger tuning videos on YouTube that you could review.

By the way, I am one that likes a good two stage trigger. I have mine tuned with a first stage that is a breeze to pull through to the stop, and then a second stage that breaks like glass with a bit more force. I have my HW-30s Rekord trigger tuned the exact same way for consistent feel between them so they reinforce each other in terms of trigger time. I do have a few other airguns but these two get 99% of my shooting since they work so well together.
AlanMcD

Postby Fr3d » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Thank you for the replies. I'm a hunter and I like a crisp 2 stage trigger.

Yes, the safety was on and when I touched the trigger it fired. Happened before but I couldn't believe it. I would send it back to Crosman or Pyramid Air but I am all the way in South Africa now. This is a deal breaker for me because when I stalk with an 8lbs rifle the muzzle is all over the place.

Looks like I'm going to have to watch some more youtube videos and then try some open trigger surgery. :shock:

Thanks again chaps.
Fr3d

Postby oldpro » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:31 pm

Pull the stock off and trigger side cover then take a close up pic of trigger I bet your second stage set screw has worked its way loose. I myself remove the first stage adjuster cannot fathom why someone needs a first stage or why it's become popular in air rifles. But to each their own.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For WAR products, please visit my vendor shop on the Marauder Forum http://www.marauderairrifle.com/shops/w ... ir-rifles/
oldpro

Postby RayK » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:25 am

I love a good two stage triggers.

If you remove the first stage, you just have a very small amount of metal holding your gun from firing and it is more likely to fire if you bump it.

I like it where the first stage is very easy, but there is a very definite stop when you hit the start of second stage, then the second stage breaks like glass (no movement/creep at all).

The Gen I M-rod triggers are easy to adjust this way. (or you can eliminate the first stage if that is what you like).

The worst is when there is a long pull on a second stage. And it is worse if that long pull is hard. And it is worse yet if the resistance increases as you pull.

I just shot an Evanix Sniper 357 and its trigger was about as bad as it can get - and it is not adjustable. That is a deal breaker for me for sure. Otherwise, it was a really nice gun if you don't mine a pellet gun that is louder than a 22 LR.

Ray
25 W-rod | 08 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 50 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 29 FPE -3% | 2100 fill
RayK

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions