Newbie help. Need advice

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

Newbie help. Need advice

Postby Frankum1998 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:22 am

Just got my new synrod .22 in November. Have inconsistent groups since new. Have literally tried 18 different pellets with the crosman premier 14.3 gr domes being the best with atleast two different fliers out of 10. Accuracy all over the place. I was convinced that I had a bent barrel and decided to take rifle apart and see what maybe is wrong with barrel. First there is a small ding in the crown. I rolled barrel on flat surface and could not determine if it was bent or not. Lastly decided to push several pellets through the barrel and I believe I found the problem. The jsb heavy 18.13 gr fell all the way through leaving no marks on the the head or skirt of the pellet. The only pellet that the left any marks at all was the crosman premier domes. It left tiny marks, barely visible on the head and minimal marks on the skirt. I believe I am safe to assume that the pellets are "shot gunning" inside the barrel which is why I can not get any accuracy out of the gun. Has there been a problem with the bore being OVERSIZED ??? Going to order new barrel on Monday but any input would be great.
Frankum1998

Re: Newbie help. Need advice

Postby SHOOTINIT » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:04 am

25 cal gun?
is the od of the barrel 7/16" or 1/2"?

Last edited by SHOOTINIT on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby Crusher75060 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:05 am

Wow. Never heard of that. I'll have to wait until some of the others give us a little insight. My barrel puts marks on almost anything I push through it. And I think that may be the norm. My 25 and 177 are very accurate. At 30 yards I can stack the pellets on top of each other with either gun. The nick in the crown sounds suspect to me.

Crusher
"The secret to being remembered, is to first live a life worth remembering." Bruce Lee

Crusher75060

Postby AlanMcD » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:19 am

Actually, back when these first came out, the .22s were known to have "oversize" bores. Mine was nothing like that (JSBs shot horribly and had minimal rifling, but at least they did not fall through). Many of us then found good results with H&N pellets since they come in different head sizes. The best for many were the Baracuda in 5.53, but they do come in larger sizes. I even have some FTTs in 5.55 that work well in a Crosman break barrel I own.

A new barrel is definitely worth a try though, as many have had good results of late.

The photo below shows JSB 18.1s after having been pushed through the different barrels I have tried - note how little the stock barrel engraved the pellet, and this is after pushing all the way through the choke too. There would not be much on the pellet before the choke . . . My stock barrel is from 2009.

AlanMcD

Postby RayK » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:25 am

Frankum1998 wrote:Has there been a problem with the bore being OVERSIZED ??? Going to order new barrel on Monday but any input would be great.

Absolutely yes! I've been saying that for years - the 22 barrel ID is too large for standard pellets. Crosman relies on the choke to "fix" this problem, but that means the choke must be exactly right - which is not easy to do. We have seen the chokes are inconsistent across batches of 22 barrels.

If you want an accurate Marauder, send it back and exchange for the 25 Caliber Marauder.

If you are really committed to 22 caliber, you can keep asking for a new barrel until you get one that is choked just right.

Ray
25 W-rod | 08 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 50 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 29 FPE -3% | 2100 fill
RayK

Postby Frankum1998 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks for the input. The pictures you posted tells the whole story. Years ago I was a beginning machinist and one thing that I remember is that when your tooling is "dull". It cuts over sized. This maybe the case with the id of the barrel. But again when I compare my pellets pushed through the barrel vs the pics. Difference is night and day. The rifling marks are so minimal on the skirt of the pellet, that you have to hold it just right and in the light, to see any shiny marks that made any contact with the rifling at all. None what so ever on the head of the pellet. Definitely a new barrel in order ASAP
Frankum1998

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions