Problems re-filling 22cal Mrod

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

Problems re-filling 22cal Mrod

Postby AR1516 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:06 am

Hello, I am unable to refill my rifle. I have had the gun for about two weeks and have had no problems re-filling until I de-gassed the gun to do the de-ping mod. I have a Axsor hand pump to re-fill with. I have tried cocking the hammer as specified in the instruction manual, air is still leaking down the barrel. I had at one point adjusted the hammer pre-load only about 1 turn as well as the hammer travel, these have been reset to their original position. What the heck gives? I am really bummed about this.
AR1516

Re: Problems re-filling 22cal Mrod

Postby Supercharged86 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:54 am

Hey AR1516, Sorry to hear your having problems with your new Mrod. Unfortunately, this is a fairly common problem, usually only seen with those using a hand pump. The reason is because the hand pump cannot deliver fast enough, the necessary cfm at a sufficient psi to close the valve cap. This is never an issue when using a HPA source.

First, exercise the internal valve cap by reinstalling the degassing tool per the manual and then release. Next, although the owners manual recommends only cocking the bolt and leaving it back, I would also set the the hammer spring preload to zero (full CCW out) just to be sure there's no tension on the internal components; then retry the hand pump.

If this doesn't work, I've also read others using a regular air compressor (with the correct fitting) to help seal the valve. This will only give you about 120 psi but will get you started. There's is however, a MAJOR problem with doing this, you run the risk of introducing moisture into the tank, so care must be taken to avoid this. Hope this helps. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby AR1516 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:23 am

Steve, Thanks for the advice. I actually did think about using my compressor to see if a blast of air would seat the valve. I really like the gun but this little hiccup is a bummer! I will give it another go and see what happens.

Thanks, Dean
AR1516

Postby Supercharged86 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:17 am

Either way Dean, I'd take off all the spring pressure and cock the bolt, leaving it rearward. Good luck. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby AR1516 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Hey Steve, well I tried all of your tips, nothing has worked :( I can't get in touch with Crosman to send it in for repairs. When you call just a message and no way to talk to anyone, even their e-mail is down for maintence. This turning out to be a real bummer! Sorry for all the complaining just really frustrated right now. Thanks again for your help!
AR1516

Postby USMCShooter on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:43 am

AR, I just had a bud that had the exact same problem......are you up for some exercise? Cock the gun and put it on safe, and hook up the pump....stand the gun, muzzle down, in a corner.....now pump like a wildman for about 40-50 strokes....the pump should be able to take this much without 'overheating'....it will heat up, but it shouldn't be enough to kill an o-ring......you will probably hear air leaking still.....reach over, flip it off safe and dry fire it two or three times, recock it, and pump like hell for another 20-30 strokes.....this worked well on his gun, and has for several others out there as well.....just watch your pump temps....even better if you live somewhere cold and can do this outside.....then you can go for even more pumps.....

The gun most likely doesn't need repair....either the valve face has a small imperfection, or there is a small piece of dirt or something on it.....by airing it and dry firing it, you're trying to displace whatever it is and let the valve stem seal....give it a try and let us know how it goes....

Semper Fi,

Jamie
USMCShooter

Postby AR1516 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:44 pm

Hey Jamie, I'm going to give this a shot. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks.
AR1516

Postby AR1516 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Been away for a bit. Well, I tried the fast pump method and failed. Sent the rifle back and have a new one on the way. Since I just got it the seller did an exchange. So other than a little running around all is well. Thanks for all of the tips and help guys!
AR1516

Postby AR1516 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:51 pm

O.K. so being a newbie to PCP rifles I hope this question is not too stupid. Since I only have a hand pump (axsor brand) that I purchased along with my rifle from Pyramyd and had the problem with trying to refill after degassing, what would be the least expensive way to go with having a high pressure air source available? Scuba tank and adapter? The thing is, I have read where some of these don't work all that well either. I want to try and keep the cost down but want something that will be reliable. My replacement rifle should be here tomorrow! By the way, awesome customer service from Pyramyd even though I never spoke with anyone just e-mails. I really want to try and install a 'depinger' but am now a little 'gun shy" (pun intended) about degassing this new one and ending up with the same problem of not being able to recharge the rifle.

Again, thanks to all of the responses and help when I first had this problem.
AR1516

Postby Supercharged86 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:54 am

AR1516, An SCBA or SCUBA high pressure air source both work very very well. There's only one down side to this method (cost not withstanding) and that's finding a place to get either one filled. Some people live in an area where there's just no place to go. If however, you have a paintball or scuba shop nearby then you should be good (double check with paintball shop before investing the $$). If your going to just go the hand pump route then I'd shoot it awhile first, put a good 1000 rounds or so into it to exercise the valve and spring a bit before degassing it fully to do the depinger. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Next

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions