BENJAMIN HAND PUMP PROBLEMS

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

BENJAMIN HAND PUMP PROBLEMS

Postby rbolton6 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Anyone having issues with their hand pumps from Crosman.
My first one went bad after about 7 months, got a new one from Crosman last month and now it is defective.

Crosman is sending a new one right away (great customer service)

Just curious if anyone else is having issues.

fyi - I have my Marauder set at 2750 psi and fill only from the hand pump at this time.
I wonder if I'm wearing these things out - I shoot ALOTTTTT !

Still looking for a small tank to use...Until then it's pump pump & pump.
rbolton6

Re: BENJAMIN HAND PUMP PROBLEMS

Postby Mikemas on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:26 pm

If it takes a hundred or so pumps to pump up the tank, its not surprising they are wearing out!

How many pumps does it take to re-charge your gun?

Thanks
Mikemas

Postby rbolton6 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:39 am

I usually pump mine up to about 2700 psi and shoot it down to 2000 before re-charging.
It takes about 38 pumps to bring it back to 2700 - and I get about 25 shots before the velocity starts dropping on the chrony.
But just to see what it would really do, I got shot 50 rounds at 50 yards the other day before the POI started to drop.
Didn't know what the end velocity was on shot 50 and didn't really care because it was still in a quarter sized hole at 50 yards.....That's good enough for me....And I doubt I'll ever need 50 shots on a day hunting trip, but I know they are there if I need them !

Anyhow - I am now into pump number 3 and starting to hear those weird noises again when I get up around 2700 psi.
This one may be on it's way back to crosman soon.
rbolton6

Postby Mikemas on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks for the reply - I thought I understood that the rifle was designed to operate around 2000 lbs - if so, what would be the minimum pressure to avoid getting a pellet jammed in the gun?

Also, it would seem to me that a 12 volt pump would be something you might want to keep around - are there any available at a reasonable cost?

Thanks
Mikemas

Postby Ben cook on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:40 am

My first pump lasted about a year, i shoot a little each week with some days several refills, Pumping slowly and not more than 5 mins.
I now have 2 pumps one replaced and one new. The issues i had with # 1, it became to difficult to raise the pump handle after about 10 or 11 pumps??
I shoot from 2500 down to 1500 or just a little lower, Takes about 35 to 40 pumps.
I never wiped off anything from the shaft << but should we be appling divers grease after it get dark looking?? ;)
Ben cook

Postby rbolton6 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:32 am

Sounds like you have the same issue everyone is seeing with the pumps.
Almost like a vaccum is created after about 10-15 pumps - Nearly impossible to get the handle up
Pump is shot at that point - call Crosman

I spoke with Crosman and they said NO NOT wipe anything off the pump or add any lubricant !
rbolton6

Postby rbolton6 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:38 am

Mikemas - I believe it comes from Crosman tuned to operate at around 2500 psi.
I recall a little tag attached to mine to that effect, when I got it.

You can adjust it for any pressure you like, but you had better make sure you have a chrony !!!

I have mine set up to where I can fill it all the way up to 3000 psi
But the first 10-12 shots are just starting to creep up the bathtub velocity curve.
It doesn't get to an optimum and consistent velocity till around 2700 psi, then it levels off pretty well for about 25 shots before the velocity starts to drop.

I wouldn't worry too much about a pellet jamming - I have shot mine down to way under 1000 psi without any issues.
rbolton6

Postby rbolton6 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:55 pm

and I have been looking at pumps - AC - DC - GAS
these are way out of my price range !!!!!!!

Any mechanical pump that can generate 3000 psi is looking like it's going to set ya back quite a bit
rbolton6

Postby Mikemas on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:23 pm

I've been doing some searching myself and while I found some 110 units, for the most part, ( at least to me) they are worthless, what's needed is a 12v pump for us old guys who don't want to pull a muscle which we can hook up to the truck battery and boost the tank at the field.

Does anyone make a 12v high pressure pump? If so, links please!

Thanks
Mikemas

Postby rbolton6 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:30 am

I agree 100 %

I have looked all over the internet and come up empty !
If ANYONE knows where to pick a pump like this up PLEASE let us ole farts know !!!

Maybe we should engineer one ourselves and get rich :)
I'm sure we aren't the only ole timers out there with sore arms :)
rbolton6

Next

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions