NEW RIFLE WILL NOT COCK!!!!!!!!!?????

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

NEW RIFLE WILL NOT COCK!!!!!!!!!?????

Postby sandy from oz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi everyone, i've just recived my .25 calMarauder yesterday (that is i went and looked at it at my local gun shop after waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive,) i live in AUstralia and the only inporterfor crossman productis is in Sydney, so it took some time to reach me. Anyway back to the topic, on opening the box and removing the rifle, i tried to cock and dry fire the rifle but i couldn't seem to get the bolt all the way back??? the pellet prob was still protruding into the magazine slot and i also noticed that there was no resistance what so ever when pulling the bolt back!!! Is this normal, am i missing something? do i need to tighten or loosen a screw somewhere or does the mag have to be inserted to allow full cocking of the action??? please can some one shed some light on my poblem?? :(

regards Sandy
sandy from oz

Re: NEW RIFLE WILL NOT COCK!!!!!!!!!?????

Postby Motorhead » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Hate to have you moving adjustment screws ... But checK this ?

Is there a SILVER "Degassing" probe screwed into rear of receivers air tube ? If so take it out.
* If for some reason the SPRING PRELOAD adjuster is in too far, spring could coil bind before hammer is back far enough for a sear lock up ?
* Highly doubtful this is the issue tho.

Others will chime in ... just grasping at straws here :?
RAW TM1000 Hybrid .177
2) M-rods - Pup .22 & HFT .177
Evanix Rainstorm .22
BSA Scorpion Tac .177
FX Whisper T-12 .177
AA 410 .22
BAM 50 Custom .25
Cros 1701P .177
AA TX-200 .177
FWB 124D .177
HW35 .177
Diana 75 HV .177
4.5k ShoeBox + Guppy
Motorhead

Postby AirRifleHunter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm wondering if it has to go through customs and for some reason it is disassembled, perhaps something didn't get back in it?

I would check to see if there is something inside the breech by removing the breech block and looking inside. I know this is a little drastic, but if there isn't anything obvious on the outside that seems to be causing it to not fully cock, then perhaps something has fallen inside that is causing a blockage of some sort.

That stinks that you just got it and are already having problems with it. This is not the norm with these guns (at least in my experience) and I would bet something is loose or inside an area that it shouldn't be.

I know that doesn't solve your problem, but that's where I would look first. Is the place you purchased it a certified repair center for the Crosman/Benjamin guns? If so, I would have them fix it.
AirRifleHunter

Postby AlanMcD » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm

You definately have a problem - and it has nothing to do with needing to have the mag insterted to do anything. In fact, you can really only insert a magazine AFTER the gun is cocked, while the bolt probe remains retracted in the breech block. Since you are in Australia and probably do not want to send the gun back, I'll do all I can to help you fix it yourself - so this may get long . . . .

The strangest thing that you describe is that the bolt has no resistance at all when you pull it back. When you let it go with the gun level, does it stay in place or does it return to a nearly closed position?

If it stays in place, the only way this would happen in a gun that is functioning correctly would be for the gun to already be cocked. Point it in safe direction (like to the ground outdoors), close the bolt, and pull the trigger. Did it fire? If so, you can move on to dealing with the bolt protrusion later in this post. Now if the gun is NOT functioning properly (aka it did not fire), the only thing that I can think of that could cause this would be for the hammer spring to be missing or broken - and if the spring is broken, it is possible that it could cause a binding condition that would prevent cocking at the end of the bolt stroke. Other than that, I don't know, but will keep thinking.

If the bolt does close when you let it go, then the spring is intact and is pushing on the hammer, and the gun is not cocked. It really does not take a lot of effort to pull the bolt back, but it is more than "no resistance." So I'm not sure what would be causing your condition, but as above will keep thinking about it.

One thing that would fit the description (with the exception of the "no resistance" part) would be for the sear to be broken. This would result in the bolt always wanting to close, and of course it would not cock if this were the case. But you would have the most resistance when the bolt was in the full rear ward position compressing the hammer spring.

As for the bolt probe protruding slightly into the breech when pulled full rearward, there are two things that I can think of that can cause this. The first is for the cap screw into the bolt - the one visible on the left side of the gun when the bolt is closed - to be loose. If it is loose enough, this could probably also prevent the gun from cocking, but it also tends to make it hard to pull the bolt rearward too. Try to tighten it and see if it is loose - 9/16th hex wrench.

The other "fix" for this is a little tougher - it is possible for this to happen if build tolerance get too far out of whack, and this specifically relates to the trigger group. You need to make sure it is as far rearward as possible. To this, you'll need to take the action out of the stock, loosen the screws that hold the trigger group to the main tube, and then slide the group as far to the rear as you can and then retighten the screws. Then you'd want to cock the gun to see if it is better, but you can't cock it right now . . . .

Wait - I just thought of something that could cause the "no resitance" situation. There is a cap screw on top of the hammer that engages with the cap screw on the bolt - that is how pulling the bolt moves the hammer rearward. If that cap screw on the hammer were missing, you would feel everything you describe, but it would not explain the bolt protrusion issue - in fact it would probably make it less likely. To check on that cap screw, you need to remove the breech block and barrel from the main tube. Not hard to do, but you'll need to remove the bolt (by removing the cap screw in it) and then remove the rear plunger that applies pressure to the bolt to get to the rear screw.

Of couse once you are this far into the gun, you could also pull the rear cap off to check on the hammer spring too.

You really do need the parts diagram to figure all this out: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1355

Let us know what more you learn and we'll keep helping. Good luck.
AlanMcD

Postby sandy from oz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:42 pm

thank you all very much. i will systematically work through all you have said and see what is wrong. i know that when they were imported into the country coustomes broke alot of the triggers on these rifles performing there shock testing. subsiquently, the importer i purchased it off installed a SS trigger blade for me. this makes me think that the problem is more than likely that he has left something out or not tightened things up or aligned them properly. will let you know how it all turns out :D
sandy from oz

Postby Motorhead » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Red Flag
If someones been into the trigger group replacing parts such as the trigger it's self .... very likely somethings OUT OF SYNCH :oops:
The Trigger group on these is a really slick straight forward design that once looked at with the side cover off reveals what each adjustment screw does for each stage of triggers pull and the sear overlap/release amount.
In ya go !! .... action out of stock, remove the 4 small allen screws on trigger block cover plate. take your fingernails and work cover off ( Not too worry, all will stay in place )
Now you can attempt cocking and SEE first hand if sear in working or not and adjust accordingly.

sandy from oz wrote:thank you all very much. i will systematically work through all you have said and see what is wrong. i know that when they were imported into the country coustomes broke alot of the triggers on these rifles performing there shock testing. subsiquently, the importer i purchased it off installed a SS trigger blade for me. this makes me think that the problem is more than likely that he has left something out or not tightened things up or aligned them properly. will let you know how it all turns out :D
RAW TM1000 Hybrid .177
Evanix Rainstorm .22
BSA Scorpion Tac .177
FX Whisper T-12 .177
AA 410 .22
BAM 50 Custom .25
Cros 1701P .177
AA TX-200 .177
FWB 124D .177
HW35 .177
Diana 75 HV .177
4.5k ShoeBox + Guppy
Motorhead

Postby sandy from oz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Well don't i feel like a right twat!!!! I went back to the firearms dealr last night and went over the rifle again, it turns out i wasn't pulling the bolt hard enough at the end of its stroke to engage the hammer and sear :oops:. My other pcp is a walther 1250 dominator and as soonas you pull the bolt back theres resistance.I couldn't believe how short the hammer stroke is on the M Rod!!! i love it :D. So thank you very much to all for you words of wisdom and from now on i will just have to fiddel more before i cry wolf 8-)
sandy from oz

Postby AirRifleHunter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:58 pm

sandy from oz wrote:Well don't i feel like a right twat!!!! I went back to the firearms dealr last night and went over the rifle again, it turns out i wasn't pulling the bolt hard enough at the end of its stroke to engage the hammer and sear :oops:. My other pcp is a walther 1250 dominator and as soonas you pull the bolt back theres resistance.I couldn't believe how short the hammer stroke is on the M Rod!!! i love it :D. So thank you very much to all for you words of wisdom and from now on i will just have to fiddel more before i cry wolf 8-)

I'm glad is was something simple and not more involved. Now you can have fun shooting! ;)
AirRifleHunter

Postby Motorhead » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 pm

I am curious tho about this "Replacement SS trigger" .... Are they available to purchase, pictures or a link perhaps ??
RAW TM1000 Hybrid .177
Evanix Rainstorm .22
BSA Scorpion Tac .177
FX Whisper T-12 .177
AA 410 .22
BAM 50 Custom .25
Cros 1701P .177
AA TX-200 .177
FWB 124D .177
HW35 .177
Diana 75 HV .177
4.5k ShoeBox + Guppy
Motorhead

Postby linsfreak » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:49 pm

really am not sure where to start and i have owned it for over a year and some odd months...synthetic stock. DOES NOT COCK.
linsfreak

Next

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions