REGULATOR

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

Re: REGULATOR

Postby rbolton6 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Teryx,

How hard was the installation of Audrius's regulator
I sent him an e-mail and he sent back several attachments showing modifications needed.
Several holes drilled and putting something on a lathe :shock:

I'm a duct tape kinda fix it fella :)
Sounds like more than I had bargained for

Is it really as complicated as it looks ?

Thanks,
Rick
rbolton6

Postby Teryx on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Rick,
I think that modification was done by a Dutch guy, and he got pretty good results with it. There are a number of issues with it that I don't like though. He removed all the support from the bore of the valve in order to get the volume needed. That means the spring can "kink" as it cycles. Not a good prospect for long term life of the valve. This is not an easy conversion to undertake by yourself. I've looked at it pretty hard, and you could do a proper modification of the existing valve. I don't think the results would ever be as good as building a new valve with the right configuration though. The proximity of the port to the valve seat is too close, and there are other issues. Yea, that takes a lathe, and a vertical indexing head on a mill to do right. I'm not sure how long it will take me to have working valves. It's one of those things that takes what it takes because the testing and refining can be a lengthy process. I know people would love a fix involving duct tape, JB weld, bondo, and adjustable pump pliers, but this is one case where I would recommend against it :D I do have a new transfer tube made though. It is a sweet little gem made of 90 durometer polyurethane with a titanium jacket. Exceeds the need, as they say :geek:
Teryx
Teryx

Postby rbolton6 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:10 am

OK - I plead guilty - I'm just an ole fart that has duct tape and JB Weld on danged near everything I own :)
I once had a car when I was a teenager that had a water-pump repaired with JB Weld that kept me on the road for years !

So do us ole guys proud and let us know when you come up with that "magic combo"
We'll be standing in line to buy one !
rbolton6

Postby be4meliz on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:05 am

Teryx- was going through some of these posts and wondering if you ever came up with the valve as you had discussed making-have had this reg for some time, using spacers to create plenum between valve and reg(after removing gauge ass.)would be interested in getting one, as with current setup, I am not getting proper volumn for shot cycle(lower velocity) would like to achieve mid to- high 800's with my .22,but not to keen on drilling vent hole forward of gauge hole. also added GD extension tube so more volumn on high end.Have tried adjusting reg from 130 bar to 150 bar.
be4meliz

Postby Teryx on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 pm

Sorry for this slow reply, I don't visit too often anymore. Yes, I did get the valve working very well, and I did it by modifying the existing valve and adding a spacer ring between the valve and the regulator. In my gun though there is no gauge hole because I built a new airtube too. My guns are carbines, with only 14" barrels and 18" airtubes, but they get 30 shots when set at 815 FPS. I can boost the speed to 850 and still get 20 shots. 850 is about max with the short barrel. I'm guessing that a full length barrel and airtube would get around 45-50 shots at maybe 950 FPS, and probably 40 good shots at 1000.

The modifications were as follows:
I removed the tapered sleeve in the valve and used a tapered pin reamer to enlarge the inside diameter slightly, maybe .030 total. I backbored the spring retainer from the muzzle end to reduce the length of the narrow channel going into the valve and radiused the transition. I bored out the port to .160 and polished it. The transfer tube is aluminum jacketed polyurethane, .160. The spacer between the valve and the regulator is 3/4 inch. The regulator is set at 130 for the 815 tune, and 150 for 850 tune. I prefer the 130 setting.

The modifications to the valve were all designed to increase flow rate through the valve, NOT to increase volume. Enlarging the tapered sleeve in the valve presented a greater flow area to the valve seat, while still offering support to the spring. I was able to run minimum hammer spring settings and slightly shortening the stroke because the setup moved air so efficiently. The volume was added mainly by the spacer. Erring to the high side on volume has no ill effect, but starving the valve does. Following this approach results in a very sweet running gun that is easy to tune using the existing parts. Shot consistency varies only about 8fps total spread over 30 shots.

I was hoping to build these for people but that had to be scrapped.

T
Teryx

Postby avv604 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:06 pm

Here is all you need. I installed a regulator in my .177

http://avveduti.wordpress.com/2010/07/1 ... regulator/

I list the place to buy it and how to install.

Have fun.
Blessings,
Jeff
avv604

for Teryx

Postby be4meliz on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:45 am

Wondering if there's any way I could pay you to do the same valve modification you mention- I have used the regulator in a .22 by adding 3 washers and removing the gauge, but am not happy with the drop in velocity and your valve work-up sounds like the ticket. Could purchase new valve and ship to you,if willing. Give me a shout if possible :[email protected]
Recently put a buddy(Matt) on to you to purchase your tube extension-he's very happy-thanks, Stephen
be4meliz

Re: for Teryx

Postby avv604 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:00 am

be4meliz wrote:Wondering if there's any way I could pay you to do the same valve modification you mention- I have used the regulator in a .22 by adding 3 washers and removing the gauge, but am not happy with the drop in velocity and your valve work-up sounds like the ticket. Could purchase new valve and ship to you,if willing. Give me a shout if possible :[email protected]
Recently put a buddy(Matt) on to you to purchase your tube extension-he's very happy-thanks, Stephen

The size of the hole in the washers is everything. If you used a large washer with a small opening, that is your problem. A piece of copper tubing is the best, or a sliver of PVC pipe.
Blessings,
Jeff
avv604

Postby be4meliz on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks ,Jeff Yes ,I did use small opening washers and will try the pvc as that all makes sense- just need to find a way to modify the valve per Teryx's instructions- any good machinests out there want a crack at a new valve? will work out compensation.
be4meliz

Postby avv604 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 am

be4meliz wrote:Thanks ,Jeff Yes ,I did use small opening washers and will try the pvc as that all makes sense- just need to find a way to modify the valve per Teryx's instructions- any good machinests out there want a crack at a new valve? will work out compensation.

Be2meliz,
That is why I removed my pressure gauge and just run without it. At first I did not really want to do it, but then after a while there is nothing to it. I have a gauge on my hand pump and air tank, so I know the pressure I am filling it to. The regulator makes a strange "burping" sound when you reach the lower pressure. That is when I need to refill. Also, I did not want to void the warranty just yet. Once you drill the hole in the tube, there is no going back. Since I don't have all the tools for a setup like Teryx's setup, I have happily gotten use to running without a gauge.
Blessings,
Jeff
avv604

PreviousNext

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions