Getting scope aligned right on Marauder

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

Getting scope aligned right on Marauder

Postby RayK on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi all.

Both my buddy and I have noticed that when we shoot 50, 100, 150 yards, the windage moves along a consistent diagonal.
For example, if you center 100 yards on the cross hairs, then you shoot 50 yards, the pellet will be to the right of center, then when you shoot 150 yards, the pellet will be to the left of center.
I did some research on this, and some have suggested it is caused by the scope not being optically centered (which is likely true).

To get the scope adjusted while keeping it optically centered, I would need a two-piece fully adjustable scope mount (one that allows both windage and elevation adjustments).

Can anyone recommend good quality fully adjustable two-piece scope rings that will fit a 30mm scope tube and an 11mm rail?

Or can anyone recommend a better solutions? I'd like to be able to use my center line for various ranges (if there is no wind), and just compensate with various mil-dots for elevation.

Thanks!

Ray
RayK

Re: Getting scope aligned right on Marauder

Postby diarmadhim on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:45 pm

Ray,

I would just optically center the scope (I use a mirror) then put the scope on the gun and try to make sure the vertical crosshairs are in line with the bore. Then try this procedure (you'll obviously have to reduce the distance)...Reticle Perpendicularity

diarmadhim

Location: Small town Southern Oregon soon to be small town Central Oregon

Postby RayK on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:28 pm

I was able to solve the problem and thought I should share in case someone else runs into it.

I shot groups at 40 60 80 yards and noted the angle of drift.

Then I loosened the scope and twisted to move the verticle reticle to be more in-line with the noted angle.

Then I repeated.

Eventually, I got it so it was all ligned up.
Now I can shoot various ranges and use the mill dots to compensate for distance.
Windage is right on at all the distances as long as there is no wind.

Ray
RayK

Postby hawkeye on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:40 pm

diarmadhim wrote:I would just optically center the scope (I use a mirror) then put the scope on the gun and try to make sure the vertical crosshairs are in line with the bore. Then try this procedure (you'll obviously have to reduce the distance)...Reticle Perpendicularity Ray

Just wondering if you could share how you use a mirror to optically center the scope?

Thanks
hawkeye

Postby diarmadhim on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Sure!
What you need:
unmounted scope
mirror
lots of light

Set the scope to a low mag, if it is variable. place the bell against the mirror. You will most likely see 2 sets of crosshairs, the actual and the reflected. (this is where you'll need lots of light)
All you have to do is adjust the windage and elevation until they are on top of one another. Very quick much more so than counting clicks.

A note on the mirror. I use a 6" round mirror that my wife has a candle on. there is no frame so more light reaches the scope from the edges. works much better than my bathroom mirror. especially when I can use it outside, on a sunny day.

diarmadhim

Postby tjbryner on Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:30 am

1st question I have to ask is what scopes do you guys have on your rifle? Fixed Objective?

When I left a friend shoot mine he was good at 35 yds. Now at 50+ yds he was left or right of the target but mostly centered up down.
After watching him shoot for a few rounds, It was his cheek to stock mate. It changed as he moved to the other targets.

He basically moved his head left or right, instead of moving the gun
tjbryner

Postby diarmadhim on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Centerpoint 6x24x50mm Adjustable Objective

diarmadhim

Postby lamerabbit on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:12 am

I like to use Burris Signature rings/mounts on all my air rifles. The plastic inserts let me sight in the rifle while keeping the retical centered. This is not without its problems, as these rings are actually designed for 3/8 inch receivers, and not 11 millimeter. However, I found by using some brass shim stock I could level the mounts, or any other mounts for that matter. Once the mounts are level I mount the scope with a level attached to the scope itself. I use a Weaver style ring with a bubble level epoxied to a piece of Weaver base, so I can remove it when storing the rifle. I then hang a plum bob and line the rifle and the scope up with that. I first line up, the scope, and adjust the bubble level to match the plum line. Then I line up the rifle using another bubble level on a flat part of the receiver . After all is said and done, I use my left eye to keep the rifle level when shooting.

Burris 8 to 32 X 44 Rimfire/Airgun

Swift 8 to 32 X 50 and so on………………..

Jim
lamerabbit

Postby steveinla on Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:33 pm

I had that same problem with an AirArms S410. I tracked my problem to the scope rings. They were not machined true to each other. I dismounted the scope and rings. Then I assembled the rings next to each other on the gun's scope rail with the top caps in place. I could feel a definite "step off" when I ran my fingers inside the rings. I replaced the rings with rings that lined up properly and the problem went away just that fast. I hope this helps.
Steve
p.s. ShootingChrony Inc. is a terrible company to deal with. Buy a Pro Chrono by Competition Electronics...they're made in the U.S.A.
steveinla

Postby Bruce Jarrett on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks RayK for the solution thats easier then trial and error.
Bruce Jarrett

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions