My Marauder is refusing to group well.

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

My Marauder is refusing to group well.

Postby Andrew on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:16 pm

My new 22. Marauder arrived several weeks ago and I love it. One problem that constantly confronts me is its mediocre accuracy, nomatter what pellets I use it either groups horribley or ok. I have used Crosman premier 14.3 grains, H&N Baracuda Match 21.14 grains, H&N Crow Magnum 18.21 grains, JSB Exact Jumbo Monster 25.4 grains, JSB Diabolo Exact, Predator Polymags 16 grains, and a few others. I tried to rule out the problem by using a single shot tray instead of the magazine, the results were unchanged. I then ran some patches down the bore until they came out clean. Finaly to remove human error I shot multiple groups of a benchrest, still no improvment. Do you have any tips or ideas of what is wrong with my gun or what I am doing wrong. It is frustrating when your 30 yard groups look like shotgun patterns. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Andrew
Andrew

Re: My Marauder is refusing to group well.

Postby tjbryner on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:50 am

1st thing I'd do is try a different scope.
What was your starting PSI?
tjbryner

Postby bob7346 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:29 am

Andrew:

Sounds like you know what you are doing. TJ has a good idea in eliminating the scope as a possibility first, even if it is new. Then I would try monitoring preasure, start at about 2500 then recharge at about 2000. Cleaning the barrel is always a good idea. Next I would check the baffles for possible contact with the pellet on exit. Also check the barrel band, for possible contact with barrel. You should be able to see light all arround the barrel.

If this does not do help, call Crosman, their tech support people seem real helpful and knowledgable, and they actually speak english (made in the USA and tech support also). When you buy a new product you should expect it to work as it should or be replaced immediately by the seller or manufacturer.

The Marauder is an excellent rifle, and an outstanding value, I just wished that the QC was a little better on the new new guns.

When you said " a group like a shotgun, are you talking a 2", 10 shot group, or a 6" group at 25 yards?

Please keep this forum posted as to the outcome, the problem if possible, and the final solution. Forums like this one can help new shooters and the sport in general.

Bob
bob7346

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:58 am

My starting pressure was 2600 psi and I would usualy top it off every 20 to 30 shots. I currently have a leapers 6-24X56 mounted on the gun, but I also have one of those 6 power Bug-Buster scopes that I will try on the gun. If my groups improve when I mount the Bug-Buster, does that mean the other scope is damaged or falty? As for the shroud, it appears to be floating in the very center of the barrel band (no contact with barrel band) as it should. I looked at each baffel but did not see evidence of pellets clipping the baffels. As for groups I was able to hold them at about 2" at 30 yards and about 4" or 5" at 50 yards (no wind). My groups at 10 yards where just under an inch. I have seen MANY Marauders shoot groups much better than this. Thank you for the advice, I will swap scopes today and shoot a few groups and keep you guys posted.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby tjbryner on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:10 am

It doesn't necessarily mean the scope is bad, It could be lose. If you could I'd try it on something else that you know shoots well. If that gun groups poorly send it back!

Something else to make sure of.....
My friend was shooting my .22 Mod and he placed the air tube on the sand bags, Not the stock and the groups went from .5" to 2-3" groups
tjbryner

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:17 pm

Today I mounted a different scope on the rifle to see if it would have any impact on the acuraccy. After mounting the scope I fired a total of ten crosman premier 14.3 grain pellets at the target and went downrange to inspect the results. The following group caught me completly by surprise. This group was tiny, one pellet could barely slip through the hole. The good news is there is nothing wrong with my Marauder, the bad news is that my $200 Leapers 6-24X56 scope is the problem. I tried tightening down the scope (but not overtightening) but this did not seem to help. Would I be able to return the scope if one of the lense covers was modifyed to allow for barrel clearence? Thanks for all of the help so far.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby tjbryner on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Were did you buy it from?
tjbryner

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:16 pm

I bought the scope from Pyramyd Air, I still have all the packaging from the scope and all the included accessories: sunshade, lense cloth ect. Would I be able to buy a new cover to replace the modifed one if they would not accept it otherwise?

Andrew
Andrew

Postby tjbryner on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 am

Just call them and let them know the scope is bad and all you need is a new scope....

Just use EXT 262 That's Erica and she is awesome
tjbryner

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:29 am

I called Pyramyd Air and they where very helpful. Erica told me I could exchange the falty scope for a new one. She also recommended the folowing brands: Hawke, Bushnell, Airforce and Center Point. Out of these brands wich one do you recommend? I had my eye on a Center Point 1TL 3-9x42, it looks good but am not sure if this particular scope is a good one. Do you have any experence with this scope or one similar to it? Thanks, you guys have been extremely helpfull with getting my new Mrod on track.
Andrew
Andrew

Next

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions