Help with Marauder Stroke Adjustment Changing?

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

Help with Marauder Stroke Adjustment Changing?

Postby Jason on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:02 am

I've had some inconsistencies with velocity out of my 177 caliber Marauder and today I found the cause. The stroke adjustment screw is moving during shooting. I had noticed it once before, but thought I had just set it wrong the last time I changed it. I tested it out tonight and it's definitely moving, somewhere between half a turn and a full turn per 10-shot magazine. I've only had the thing about a month now so it's still under warranty. I'm assuming that Crosman would just say to ship it back to them for them to look at it though. I would really rather fix it myself if it's easy enough to do, which is why I'm coming here. Has anyone had this issue? Any words of wisdom on how to fix it? Is it as simple as pulling a few screws and removing some parts so I can throw a drop of blue Loctite on that screw?

I thought I remembered seeing a thread about it back before I bought the gun, but even after multiple searches I still haven't found it.

Thanks in advance!
Jason

Re: Help with Marauder Stroke Adjustment Changing?

Postby Lammy1000 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:52 pm

This will fix it. Thanks to Jeff for writing this.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/me ... ifficult...
Lammy1000

Postby Jason on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:16 pm

Umm.. yeah. I'm the Jason in that thread that you linked. :)
Jason

Postby jlands on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Jason wrote:Umm.. yeah. I'm the Jason in that thread that you linked. :)

now that's funny :lol: :lol:
I believe in gun control as long as I am the one controlling it. :)

jlands

Postby Lammy1000 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Jason wrote:Umm.. yeah. I'm the Jason in that thread that you linked. :)

It's a small world :)

How's your m-rod holding up? Any setting movement? My stroke seems to be holding (too early to tell for sure) , but my hammer spring preload may need work to stop drifting. I have the "new/first pcp enthusiasm" and have been putting many rounds through this gun.
Lammy1000

Postby Jason on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:12 pm

Not too bad.. I've been really busy with work and haven't gotten to shoot it as much as I want. The accuracy is good for a pellet gun, but not great. I got it for the ability to change power settings readily between ~600fps with 8gr pellets for paper punching and go right to 900fps with 10.5gr pellets for pest control. I have to say, I'm really disappointed with the pest control part. My elderly neighbor sometimes doesn't get the lid tight on her trashcan when she puts it out, and there are a few crows that pay enough attention to know they can get the lid off. I shot one square in the chest at 31yds with a full fill on the gun that I know runs 900-910fps with the 10.5gr pellet. Surprisingly, it flapped a big and flew up to a tree a few yards away, unfortunately with a car behind it so I couldn't shoot it again. It sat there looking around for a few minutes while I waited for it to move to a better spot. I really expected it to fall over after a couple minutes. It didn't. It finally decided the trashcan was too dangerous that day and flew to another tree a few hundred yards away. I watched it for another 15 minutes before it flew off over some trees a few hundred yards away. I know the pellet hit it in the chest because I saw the impact of the pellet through the scope. I had this happen on another crow also, but it was a bit farther and I am not absolutely positive of the impact point like I was on that one. It's not really accurate enough for me to be sure of head shots past 20yds, either.

To sum it up, it's a good value for the price but in .177 it's not accurate enough to be a true target rifle and it doesn't shoot strongly enough to be a good pest control gun. I'm open to ideas for easy fixes, including possibly just replacing the barrel if there's a drop-in available that's higher quality. I've tried most of the well-publicized tweaks, like making sure the barrel band doesn't actually touch the barrel shroud.
Jason

Postby Lammy1000 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Stroke setting is holding since #42 was retightened. Can't get enough of this gun.
Lammy1000

Postby Lammy1000 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Update: After 2 weeks and ~200 rounds the stroke has drifted full ccw. This is after tightening #42 screw for the second time. Before I retighten # 42 "harder"(advice from Crosman engineer), I am going to leave stroke @ 0 turns where it naturally drifts to and reduce hammer preload to 1. My original conservative tune was 2H, 2S and 1.25 valve. Now it is 1H, 0S and 1.25 valve. This seems goofy having that much stroke and so little hammer spring preload...any predictions (I do not yet own a chronograph).

Please, if anyone can think of a permanent solution for preventing the hammer stroke f/drifting. I thought that retapping for a larger set screw (#42 is a 6-32) might allow for a better bite, preventing movement of this setting.
Lammy1000

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions