Share your results with various POI shift solutions

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

Re: Share your results with various POI shift solutions

Postby rupert3 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:19 pm

I read it wrong, goes inside the shroud up to and including the barrel adapter and not the baffles? Makes sense I think with smaller O=ring?
Bob
rupert3

Postby SundanceKid » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Bob,
It won't fit over the shroud spacer. You will have to remove it in order to slide this over the barrel, then put the shroud spacer back on. If I remember right, it was also a bit too long so you may have to cut some length off. It fits pretty snug on the .22 barrel which is 7/16.
SundanceKid

Postby skunkhome » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:23 pm

I tried using o-rings in the barrel band and it was desastrous. I realized my mistake and removed the o-ring only to find that the precision did not return. So I bought one of Pete's solid aluminum shroud mounts and though he also provided an adaptor to also make the band a "solid" mount I have decided not to install for now. With the new shroud mount the rifle's precision has returned and stayed consistant. I think my previous attempts to tighten my groups warped the OEM shroud mount allowing the pellets to clip the baffles even after the o-ring was removed. For now I am satisfied with the POI consistancy with the free floating barrel. After all my Mrod is a stealth hunting rifle first and bench rest rifle a far second.
skunkhome

Postby rupert3 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:51 pm

OK man thanks a lot and good luck.
Bob
rupert3

Postby Crusher75060 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:54 pm

Well, I've been trying to get a band spacer for a couple of months to no avail. Interested in selling that one to me? will it fit the .25?

Crusher
"The secret to being remembered, is to first live a life worth remembering." Bruce Lee

Crusher75060

Postby Crusher75060 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:52 am

RayK wrote:There is a good thread over on GTA related to barrel harmonics causing POI shifts and/or scatter groups.

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... c=55801.20

I think these barrel weights rdsail is using may be of use on the stock 22 and 177 barrels.

It would be interesting to see if well-placed barrel weights could cure his issues with his original (stock) barrel.

Ray

That info about harmonics seems like it would be a great explanation to the question "why do my barracuda pellets shift the poi 3" to the left". They do stack at one point and shoot almost as accurately as the kings do for me. But they just shoot 3" left. Because it is a heavier pellet, I would expect it to maybe shoot lower but not left or right. Barrel harmonics might explain the reason behind that change.
"The secret to being remembered, is to first live a life worth remembering." Bruce Lee

Crusher75060

Postby bubba g » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:57 pm

I tightened the shroud then the end cap very snug. next I loosened the barrel screws then retightened them. after doing that I removed the o-ring from the air stripper. after doing this the magazine was noticeably looser.

so far this seems to be working well.. I grabbed the gun by the barrel the last three days. something that would usually change the poi and it hasn't budged.
bubba g

Postby Family Man 811 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:53 pm

I don't understand people doing this I don't see how that would work if you move the barrel like rotationally would not that miss align the air paths turning the barrel?? I'm saying has anyone noticed a change in their tune? If suddenly the air path is rotated causing changes in flow ...
.25 Mrod [email protected] FPE/1.8%(16 fps)ES
.22"D-rod" custom-12 [email protected] FPE/3.8%(40.1 fps) ES
2240 Carbine-15shots@8FPE(22 fps)ES
Family Man 811

Postby bubba g » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:18 pm

Family Man 811 wrote:I don't understand people doing this I don't see how that would work if you move the barrel like rotationally would not that miss align the air paths turning the barrel?? I'm saying has anyone noticed a change in their tune? If suddenly the air path is rotated causing changes in flow ...

not really rotating the barrel. just relaxing any kind of side loading...
bubba g

Postby Crusher75060 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:22 am

FM, I did that exact same thing. It did help. Instead of the POI shift being 3", it was down to about 1" (@ 30 yards). In my previous post, when I put the strips of plastic in the shroud/barrel band gap, the POI shift went away completely. Others are saying that when you go to 3000 psi the tube is going to move and therefore move the shroud, moving the barrel if they are locked together by removing the space in the floating barrel. That sounds right to me, however I see absolutely no evidence of that in my shooting to support that happening.

I don't understand what happened previously though. I had POI shift, then just put the gap in the shroud to breech area and went a couple of months without the shift. Then suddenly it returned. I don't understand why.

Crusher

Crusher75060

PreviousNext

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions