Point of impact changing with range (horizontally)

Benjamin Marauder Troubleshooting
Forum rules
MarauderAirRifle.com is not owned, Affiliated, or controlled by Crosman.
The Scope and goal of this section of the form is provide useful information 24/7 because I realize that most of us play with the toys on weekends when big companies and telephone support is not always available.

Normally if problems occur during this window you are SOL until the next business day (and your fun is over)

So if you are having problems check or search here to see if it is a known issue and what steps can be taken to resolve the issue.

If you ask questions on this forum, I can not guarantee Crosman support will see the post or reply to it, and you may need to give them a call at 800-724-7486 if you still need help or replacement parts.

Re: Point of impact changing with range (horizontally)

Postby RayK » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:26 am

I would guess the scope is not aligned with the barrel (like eeler1 said).

How did you mount your scope?

I put one of these bubble levels on my scope rail.

Mount the gun in a gun vice so the bubble level reads level.

Place a pendulum out in the distance for reference. I use a 5 pound fishing weight attached to a 5/16" rope hung from a tree or similar object.

Align the verticle cross hair with the rope.

Tighten down your scope.

Also make sure your scope rings are aligned with each other. BKL rings are really good that way.

Ray
25 W-rod | 8 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 60 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 28 FPE -4% | 2100 fill
RayK

Postby DonN » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi!

What scope mounts are you using? Also, is there only one mobile jaw on each mount? If yes to question 2, are both mounts clamped on with the mobile jaw on the same side of the rifle? If that's the case and you sighted it in at a particular distance you'd get increasing horizontal shift at greater ranges. Or possibly, the If the mounts have the wrong jaw size then the scope could be horizontally offset from the bore which could cause a similar issue.

Don
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

DonN

Postby Motorhead » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Yup ... cant errors may be to blame ?

Scott Hull of Morro Bay Airgunners had posted this info on a few sites .... Great synopsis of whats happens with cant errors :D

Cant errors can be tricky as we try to compensate for them but end up introducing other errors.

I posted this information on another forum after seeing some questions and confusion about cant errors. I thought about putting this in the Optics child board, but scope cant is only one type of cant. Scope cant is not the same as gun cant but the symptoms can be mistaken for each other. I addressed them both in order to show the difference. I had a request from another GTA member to post on this forum. I hope readers here find it useful.

This is some esoteric cant information that I have been thinking about for the past couple of days. There are a number of different cant combinations. How far left or how far right the misses are will depend on the degree of cant, so that could be another subject. The goal is no cant. Hopefully this diagram can help diagnose and solve some of the cant induced errors that I and other readers may experience from time to time. Because of the unique conditions that FT shooters must deal with, we are the ones most likely to be interested in it. Early on in my attempts to shoot airguns with precision, I was convinced that the pellets must be spiraling. Spiraling is certainly a possibility, but from what I know now, it was likely cant errors. In all instances, the gun in the diagrams would be zeroed at the apex of the trajectory.
RAW TM1000 Hybrid .177
2) M-rods - Pup .22 & HFT .177
Evanix Rainstorm .22
BSA Scorpion Tac .177
FX Whisper T-12 .177
AA 410 .22
BAM 50 Custom .25
Cros 1701P .177
AA TX-200 .177
FWB 124D .177
HW35 .177
Diana 75 HV .177
4.5k ShoeBox + Guppy
Motorhead

Postby oldpro » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:25 pm

I will have to agree sounds like canting to me. Easy fix just go to youtube and find a video that you can understand the best their are lots of them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For WAR products, please visit my vendor shop on the Marauder Forum http://www.marauderairrifle.com/shops/w ... ir-rifles/
oldpro

Postby Crusher75060 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:34 pm

scrooface wrote:what type of targets are those that they are making clean entry holes instead of tearing like the paper ones i use?

You can get nice clean holes by sticking your paper targets to a slice of cardboard. Just FYI

Crusher
"The secret to being remembered, is to first live a life worth remembering." Bruce Lee

Crusher75060

Postby SHOOTINIT » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:07 pm

I always sight in farther, then adjust up/down for the closer distance i'm using, same with a bow
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby BlueSteel- 50 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:55 pm

eeler1 wrote:Or scope isn't aligned with the barrel, try 40 yards and see if it shoots a bit further right

Yeah most likely that ~~BS50~~
BlueSteel- 50

Previous

Return to Marauder Problems and Solutions