Silencer/LDC

All general Marauder chat to go in here.

Re: Silencer/LDC

Postby SHOOTINIT » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:24 pm

Doc wrote:Its not a problem as long as it doesnt readily fit a firearm. Many companies making them for air rifles. You would need a manufacturing license and could only ship to FFL dealers if you were making them for firearms.

DUCT TAPE
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby Doc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:31 pm

Alan, I agree but I have researched it to death and the law says you have to show intent. Meaning you built them for firearm use not airgun. Anything can be put on the end of a firearm to help reduce the report such as a soda bottle taped to the barrel and you have broke the law. Would they drag the soda bottle manufacturer into the suit? There is a there is a wealth of information concerning the law and an actual case where the jury said the guy didnt have intent to use it on a firearm. I wouldnt build anything that had 1/2 or 5/8 female threads as they would readily fit a firearm. I dont want to do anything to get me near a court room. There are many guys making and selling them for airguns and I know of none that have been investigated or charged. There is risk for any business and a famous saying for lawyers is "Every businessman deserves his day in court". It would be nice to license it to a manufacturer or take a royalty but again I just dont know if patent money is money well spent. I have a friend with a multi million dollar machine shop that will run them for me if I decide to go that way.
Doc

Postby SHOOTINIT » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:44 pm

Silence is just a velocity adjustment away..
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby RayK » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:23 pm

I hope you make them. I want one.

Ray
25 W-rod | 8 shots @ 73 FPE -2% | 2900 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 60 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
22 P_rod | 32 shots @ 16 FPE -4% | 2700 fill
RayK

Postby Doc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Ray, I will make them I just dont know if I should be serious about them or just make a few.
Doc

Postby RayK » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:17 am

From what I've heard, Clague and TKO are very busy making LDCs that may not be as good as what you have designed.

I have one device on my P-rod that replaces the stock Marauder shroud spacer on the muzzle with a flow-through spacer and a reverse-cone air stripper out in front of the muzzle tip. That one has potential to work really well because the air can get back to the large shroud area.

From my trial-and-error experiments, it seems once you have enough volume to capture the shot volume, that is as good as it is going to get for the air noise and adding more does not make it any quieter. If you boost power in that same gun, you may exceed the quieting capabilities currently on it then adding more will help.

The other noise like hammer hitting valve or the hammer spring twang becomes the loudest noise (assuming the ping has been eliminated).

Ray
25 W-rod | 8 shots @ 73 FPE -2% | 2900 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 60 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
22 P_rod | 32 shots @ 16 FPE -4% | 2700 fill
RayK

Postby Doc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Your right Ray. This design traps most of the air as soon as the pellet passes through the first baffle and forces it all back through the shroud. It makes a hissing sound from one hole drilled in the rear of the shroud. I put a piece of foam that you can see in the picture to stop the hissing sound or it could be vented inside the stock. I dont think the power levels, barrel length or shroud volume will make much difference on the sound level. The hammer and spring are the loudest sound on my .25 and I now find them annoying as I did the air tube ping before the Hill style depinger.
Doc

Postby Bullfrog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Its hard to say. You can bet that the full patent process is going to cost you about $10,000-$12,000 at least. I'd also be surprised that an attorney did a full patent search at $450. You might want to look at your paperwork for any qualifications in the fine print. Reason for that is that if he/she does a search, gives you an iron clad guarantee that you aren't running afoul of a previously existing patent, and then ends up being wrong, you could possibly sue him/her for it. A good patent attorney won't put their guarantee that no other patent already exists without spending hours pouring through existing patents and they are going to be very careful before rendering a declaration. That costs lots of $$$.

You might want to talk to your attorney about a provisional patent. It will let you protect your product for a set amount of time so you can start selling it and investigating the patent process further. That way you can test the waters to see if its financially worth it for you to complete the patent process. You might also want to get a second opinion before you go on with a full patent. An ethical attorney will tell you up front whether its likely you'll succeed in getting a patent. Unfortunately an unethical one that needs to pay his mortgage will string you along for your money.

I agree that as I read it the current state of the law requires that the person who possesses an airgun suppressor to exhibit an intent to use it on a firearm. However, the law could easily change. The controlling case on the subject actually urged Congress to consider amending the federal statutes to include air guns under ATF's authority, while acknowledging that currently ATF does not have that authority. Its tenuous. We basically owe it to a panel of federal judges that we can openly use airgun-only suppressors without ATF interference. A different group of judges might decided differently.
Bullfrog

Postby Doc » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:11 am

Hello Bullfrog. I have decided against the patent because I just dont believe the volume of sales would justify it. The patent search was just for prior art. I have never met a patent lawyer that would guaranty and patent. They can research it for prior art and give you a risk estimate but there is never a guaranty that a patent will be issued. They argue with the patent office why they should issue a patent and they may argue back. Kind of like going to court in front of a judge.
Doc

Postby iride » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:00 am

I am going to be way off base here, Doc make sell it and make a few bucks if you can,
I am one of the guys that like to support the people in the sport, Not the china guy that made a copy of a toofoo and is selling it at 1/2 price.
Somehow the Chinese seem to get around our copy right laws,
Mike
Cricket 25
Cricket .22
Marauder 25
FWB 124
Tech Force 99
Super max Mod B21
Crosman 760
Sheridan blue streak ( I guess a 1965 model, Brother gave it to me does not shoot
Salt gun
iride

Previous

Return to General Chat