State Hunting Laws...

All general Marauder chat to go in here.

State Hunting Laws...

Postby Point Doc on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:25 am

State Hunting Laws in regard to Air Guns.

I just finished a California Hunters Safety Course and while there I mentioned to the instructor that I was getting my certificate to get licensed to hunt turkey with my air gun.

He said that it was not legal in California. So I went home and looked it up and shared the information with him.

So, I was thinking that it might be a nice resource on this site if we could document what each members state will allow in regards to hunting with an air rifle.

Just a thought…

311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.
Only the following may be used to take resident small game:

(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun;

(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.

(c) Muzzle-loading shotguns;

(d) Falconry;

(e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery equipment regulations);

(f) Air rifles firing pellets and powered by compressed air or gas (0.20 caliber minimum for taking wild turkey); and firearm rifles and pistols for taking rabbits and squirrels, except in Los Angeles County, in addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d) and (e) above;

(g) In San Diego and Orange counties only, rabbits may be taken at any time during the open season by means of box traps. Such traps shall not exceed 24 inches in any dimension, shall be tended at least once every 24 hours, and shall show the name and address of the trap owner. All rabbits taken under this section shall be immediately killed and become a part of the daily bag limit;

(h) Electronic or mechanically-operated calling or sound-reproducing devices are prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds;

(i) Coursing dogs may be used to take rabbits;

(j) Archers hunting during any archery season may not possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting during an archery season;

(k) The use of live decoys is prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds;

(l) Pistols and revolvers may be used to take sooty and ruffed grouse in those counties only and for the season described in Section 300(a)(1)(E).

(m) Crossbows, except for provisions of Section 354(d) and (g).

(n) Dogs may be used to take and retrieve resident small game.

Amendment filed 8/25/09; effective 9/24/09
Point Doc

Re: State Hunting Laws...

Postby wlambert on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:48 pm

In Pennsylvania:

Unlawful Firearms & Devices: 1) Automatic and semi-automatic (autoloading) rifles and handguns; 2) air or gas operated rifles and handguns.

Also:

Wildlife Classifications: All wildlife in Pennsylvania is protected by the Game and Wildlife Code and is classified as follows:
Game Animals: Black bear, cottontail rabbit, elk, squirrels (red, gray, black and fox), snowshoe hare, white-tailed deer and woodchuck (groundhog).
Game Birds: Brant, bobwhite quail, coot, gallinule, geese, grouse, Hungarian partridge, merganser, mourning dove, pheasant, rail, snipe, swan,
wild ducks, wild turkey and woodcock.
Big Game: Bear, elk, white-tailed deer and wild turkey.
Small Game: Game birds and game animals not classified as big game.
Furbearers: Badger, beaver, bobcat, coyote, fisher, mink, muskrat, opossum, otter, pine martin, raccoon, red and gray fox, skunk and weasel.
Protected Mammals: Wild mammals not classified furbearers or game animals (For example: porcupines and chipmunks are protected).
Protected Birds: Wild birds not classified game birds.

In another section, the game law says, there is no closed season on English Sparrows and European starlings. But, it would appear that shooting the farmers pigeons might not be legal.

Are rats wildlife?????

wlambert
wlambert

Postby Point Doc on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:10 pm

Point Doc

Postby wlambert on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Actually, that is where I lifted my post from.
wlambert

Return to General Chat