Duct seal compound vs. Plumbers putty??

All general Marauder chat to go in here.

Duct seal compound vs. Plumbers putty??

Postby Supercharged86 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:13 pm

I want to upgrade my newly constructed pellet trap from paper stopper (ie two thick phone books) to putty stopper (ie. duct seal compound). The question here is whether or not plumbers putty would work instead? I would use the same number of lbs, probably at least 20. Has anyone used this stuff instead of the duct seal compound? Thanks. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Re: Duct seal compound vs. Plumbers putty??

Postby Teryx on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:08 pm

I haven't used it but it must be pretty much the same stuff right? I need to make a trap but I think I'm doing to do the "bag of rags" trick instead of the putty. It's going to be heavy enough I think without another 20 pounds of putty. :D

Teryx
Teryx

Postby doubleduece on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:45 am

I have used both. The plumbers putty seems to me to be more pliable, while the duct seal is a little firmer in my opinion. Th PP will tends to "crater" more on impact. I like DS better, but ymmv.
doubleduece

Postby Supercharged86 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:55 am

Teryx wrote:I haven't used it but it must be pretty much the same stuff right? I need to make a trap but I think I'm doing to do the "bag of rags" trick instead of the putty. It's going to be heavy enough I think without another 20 pounds of putty. :D

Teryx

Your definately right about the extra 20+ lbs, but the "bag of rags" just wasn't holding up to well at 900 fps @ 7 yds (in the basement). Certainly in the field at 20-50 yds might be a different story. I thought the phone book idea was going to work out, which for the most part it does, but after you lay 100 shots or so into it, it swells up like a tick. Then it's outside with it to clear out the pellets and bang the thing back into shape with a rubber mallot.

Doubledeuce- appreciate the input. I'll see what I can get a hold of easier at the store. It looks like the PP is a little cheaper too, just in case it requires frequent changing.
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby Supercharged86 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:56 pm

Well, preliminary ballistics testing reveals that the plumbers putty does NOT hold up to well under 28 fpe (my new favorite pellet the EunJin) at 7 yds. It basically traveled 2" and created a huge defect on the way in, leaving virtually zero putty behind it for subsequent shots to be absorbed. So the question becomes, how will it look or stand up to hundreds of shots. So do I return the 20 lbs of PP while I still can and spend the extra $15 for the duct seal or just keep shooting? Hmmm decisions....
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby jlc on Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:33 pm

There is a video at the link below that discusses using Duct seal compound, I think Lowe's carries it for about 2.36 per 1 lb block.

http://www.archerairguns.com/airgun-pellet-trap-s/6.htm

This was some additional information that i found on his site:

Recommended starting depths for Duct Seal in "Silent" Pellet Traps

For .177 wadcutters Muzzle Velocity Duct Seal Depth
500fps 1 inch
900fps 2 inches
1200fps 4 inches
Add 50% to all depths for pointed pellets

For .22 wadcutters Muzzle Velocity Duct Seal Depth
500fps 1 inch
700fps 2 inches
1000 fps 4 inches

peace
jlc

Postby Supercharged86 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:36 am

jlc wrote:There is a video at the link below that discusses using Duct seal compound, I think Lowe's carries it for about 2.36 per 1 lb block.

http://www.archerairguns.com/airgun-pellet-trap-s/6.htm

This was some additional information that i found on his site:

Recommended starting depths for Duct Seal in "Silent" Pellet Traps

For .177 wadcutters Muzzle Velocity Duct Seal Depth
500fps 1 inch
900fps 2 inches
1200fps 4 inches

For .22 wadcutters Muzzle Velocity Duct Seal Depth
500fps 1 inch
700fps 2 inches
1000 fps 4 inches

peace

Jlc- Thanks for the info. Yes, your right I did see it at Lowe's for about that price. However, a local electrical supply warehouse sells it for $1.80/lb. Thought maybe the PP would be an adequate alternative at $1.20/lb, doesn't look like it's going to work though.
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby jlc on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:22 am

OK, I will keep that in mind when i build my trap.

peace
jlc

Postby bairpraudent on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:08 am

I always use the plumbers putty because it is more reliable than some other materials. It is commonly used by professional plumbers so I believe it has great qualities. Anyway, I have never used a duct seal compound but I am looking forward to use it in some other ways.
Last edited by bairpraudent on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bairpraudent

Postby DaveShooter on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi Steve,
I went down to my plumdsupply ware house bought 100.00 worth of ds last spring . I made me one heck of a pellet trap re-enforced back of wood trap with a washer machine lid and sound foam . I also re-enforced inside of trap with wood and metal plate before I put in duct seal. It is one hevy trap. another way is to get the rubber mulch like what the sale at walmart and buid a trap out of that stuff. A friend Seth Rowland built a huge trap out of that material. he shoots big bore Airguns and high power Pb's into it says it will stop a bullet. Seth is also a bullet maker of big bore airgun ammo his company is BHD Ammo . :D :D :D
DaveShooter

Return to General Chat