.22 caliber, what's the point?

All general Marauder chat to go in here.

.22 caliber, what's the point?

Postby Teryx on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:55 pm

I have 2 Marauders at present and planning on a third. The idea was to build a custom LW .25 for longer range shooting, and have 2 .22's for the majority of my shooting. That was before Crosman announced their .25. Faced with the prospect of buying 2 more .25 caliber LW barrels at over $100 each, my plan seemed sensable. Now I'm rethinking. Heck, when Crosman gets the .25 rolling I'll be able to buy a barrel for $20, and even get stuff like a .25 bolt that just drops in! Since PCPs tend to be more efficient with larger calibers, why not just go 25 all the way? That's what I'm asking myself, and I'd like to hear what you think. Some advantages of the .22 are greater pellet choice and lower pellet cost. Truth is though, of the dozens of choices, I only like a few and I can get those in .25. If I stick to one caliber I only need a couple types of pellets instead of stocking both calibers too. I'm not a real high volume shooter so the pellet cost is not an issue. One of the guns I have planned is a carbine, and I'm pretty sure I can get more out of the short format with the .25.

So the question that I'm throwing out for debate is: What is the point of owning a .22 when you can get a .25? Is there a significant downside that I'm missing?

Teryx
Teryx

Re: .22 caliber, what's the point?

Postby Shamsher on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Dear Teryx,

we think alike, however a 177 will shoot longer distances more accurately and the pellet droop will be less.
the .22 which is the in between caliber, performs equally well but tends to droop after about 50 yards.
The .25 pellet i presume would start to droop after 40 yards or so.

but the impact delivered by the 25 would be far more than a 177 or even a 22. for field this would be the best one to own for a cool 50 yards of shooting.

I guess you will have to buy a Marauder in .25 cal as the baffles and all would also be of a different diameter. I do not think you can convert a 177 or a 22 to a 25 that easily.

ss
www.thegungeek.com
Shamsher

Postby Supercharged86 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Hey Teryx,
With the scheduled release date of April (I think), I'm guessing there hasn't been any testing data released yet (from either Crosman or third party)? Therefore, is it safe to assume that the only changes from the previous models to the .25 would be the barrel, breech, bolt and perhaps hammer and internal valving, etc.? I'm also assuming that it's going to require more air per given shot (as compared to the .177 & .22) and with the likelihood that the reservior tank would remain unchanged, the only down side could perhaps be a shorter shot string :?: :?: Or does a max velocity of 1100 fps (.177), 1000 fps (.22) and 900 fps (.25) equal the same amount of air per shot (all things being equal)? Other than that I can't think of any reason. The .25 must produce some huge energy numbers though?
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby Shamsher on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:56 pm

Some homework for you guys.

buy a disco .22 barrel this comes in 20" length
Flip it with the marauder 17" barrels on the marauder
adjust the settings and you will get a cool 1200 FPS with a 22 on a marauder.
Believe me the extra 3" works like magic.
Of course the baffles and all would have to be removed.

Same way once the 25 arrives, flip it with a 24" barrel and your 25 would give you at least 1150 FPS on the marauder.

Think about it

ss
www.thegungeek.com
Shamsher

Postby Teryx on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:31 pm

I'm already building one long rfile with a 24" LW barrel. The others will be shorter. You know, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll build both and just see what I get. Maybe the trajectory would suffer enough from the short barrel to make the .22 a better choice.

I doubt any of the internals will be different because they are only claiming 45fpe. It's probably just a barrel, baffles, and bolt swap. SC86, that progression of velocity should be supported by the same internals. That's why the bigger caliber is more efficient with regards to FPE. Shot count could possibly be an issue though.

Teryx
Teryx

Postby Shamsher on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:26 am

Great going guys!
The marauder 25 has been bisected, modified, and supertuned even before the manufacturer launches its actual photographs :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man, i am enjoying this :lol: :lol:
www.thegungeek.com
Shamsher

Postby Teryx on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:45 am

Shamsher wrote:Great going guys!
The marauder 25 has been bisected, modified, and supertuned even before the manufacturer launches its actual photographs :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man, i am enjoying this :lol: :lol:

Hey,
Anticipation is half the fun :D
Teryx
Teryx

Postby Walx on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:22 am

Has anyone tried this conversion from a .22 to .25?
Walx

Return to General Chat