What scope mounts?

All general Marauder chat to go in here.

What scope mounts?

Postby thercman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:16 am

Going to order a Hawk Sidewinder 30 for a .25 Marauder. What scope mounts should I get, medium or high?
thercman

Re: What scope mounts?

Postby RayK » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 am

I would get medium. Its bell is only 44" and I like the scope as low to the rifle as possible.

I use BKL high mounts on several 56" bell (as that was all they made in 30mm mounts at the time) and there is plenty of extra room as the shroud is a drop down from the receiver where the scope mounts.

Ray
25 M-rod, 25 M-rod @ Citrus Airguns bullpup, 22 Citrus ReBuilt M-rod, 177 M-rod, new 22 P-rod
RayK

Postby thercman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks Ray!

So for the Hawke Sidewinder 30 SF 8-32x56 I'll be okay with the medium mounts then?
thercman

Postby RayK » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:22 pm

I had the Hawke Sidewinders 6-20X44mm for a while, but sent it back. It is a fine scope, but I just did not think it was worth $500. I might pay $300 for it compared to other scopes with similar features and quality.

I ended up getting a 6-24X56 Nikko Stirling for only $280 and the mag was higher and the optics were at least as clear and it had all the features I like.

Then I also bought a SImmons 44 Mag 6-21 which I absolutely love because it has all the features (mildot, fine reticle, side focus, high magnification) I like AND it is clear at 21X AND it is only $140. I got two great scopes for less than the Hawke Sidewinder.

The SImmons 44 Mag 6-21 is the scope I recommend for Marauders (even the P-rod if set up as a carbine). Mainly because it is SO light at only 11 ounces and it has all the good features and is clear at high magnification. You can always turn the maginfication down to 6 if you want to hunt with lower mag. These PCPs are made for shooting long range accurate shots. The option of clear high magnification is worthwhile if you can get it in a light scope.

I love high magnification, but the cost is usually heavy weight. The Marauder rifles are already on the heavy side. The SImmons 44 Mag really gives the best of all worlds for me.

As far as mounts, I just keep an assortment of BKL single strap mounts on hand in both 30mm and 1inch. I really like BKL scope mounts and will continue to buy them for 11mm rails.

I just measured the gap between between my Nikko 56mm scope and the Marauder rifle shroud using the standard BKL mounts (which I'm pretty sure are considered high) and it is 1/4" - more than enough. I could probably get by with medium if BKL made medium 30mm rings. I think they make a medium in the 1" rings.

Ray
25 M-rod, 25 M-rod @ Citrus Airguns bullpup, 22 Citrus ReBuilt M-rod, 177 M-rod, new 22 P-rod
RayK

Return to General Chat