Maybe BSA is the way to go instead of LW for upgraded barrel

All general Marauder chat to go in here.

Maybe BSA is the way to go instead of LW for upgraded barrel

Postby RayK » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:48 pm

I have been waiting to hear about folks raving that their LW barrels are accurate and have solved their 22 Marauder accuracy issues.

That really has not happened.

Now, I have heard some good things about the BSA barrels, but it seems very few swap these in.

Maybe we should invest some more time and attention in trying BSA barrels instead.

I'm up for it if Mike at Citrus can't get me the accuracy I'm after by machining my stock barrel.

Ray
25 M-rod, 25 M-rod @ Citrus Airguns bullpup, 22 Citrus ReBuilt M-rod, 177 M-rod, new 22 P-rod
RayK

Re: Maybe BSA is the way to go instead of LW for upgraded ba

Postby NeuRon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:17 am

My Prod has proved pretty accurate with it's LW barrel, at 25y. With the right pellet, it shows pretty good groups at even 50y. The problem is that I have less than 1/4 tin of those old press-top H&N FTT 5.53 pellets. It seems to have gotten a little better since new, but I'm afraid to even run a dry patch through it and change anything. I might wait until I have accuracy issues before I ever clean it. :shock: The Mrod LW turned out real good but it still seemed to have a lingering issue, though not anywhere near a bad as the factory barrel.

Gaining more pellet choices is nice but what we're all after, with an aftermarket barrel, is 1-hole accuracy. I'd also like to see more of the BSA Smooth Twist barrels tried in the Mrod/Prod and encourage anyone willing to try. :)

If testing accuracy of a barrel, don't forget this important factor: I know I'm sounding like a skipping record, but using a scope-cam is invaluable during accuracy testing. Even a smart phone should do the job, just during the testing process. Mounts are available for them at OpticsPlanet. You'll benefit from keeping the exact same 'cheek weld' and can truly determine if you shot accurately or pulled it slightly when engaging the trigger or during the follow-through. Even the smallest variance translates to larger groups on the target. Short of a camera, you'll need a positive reference (a "kisser") for your cheek-weld and eye. That leaves the variable of shot accuracy and follow-through. Best of luck in determining your performance in these two areas while relying on real-time observation and recollection. ;) You need to be able to analyze video, preferably in slow-motion, just as a golfer analyzes his swing. But you're not just trying to improve your form, you're testing the accuracy of a gun's barrel. It's only fair to remove as much of yourself as possible, to be able to discount results of you and document results of the product.
Prod (tuned by Paul B., LW barrel, RB grips, ACE Folding stock, camo, TKO & JG brakes)
Sold: .22 Mrod "The Toad" (tuned by Paul B., 18" LW barrel, Toad-A-Flage camo)
Sold: .25 TT Mrod w/ reservoir and shroud extensions

NeuRon

Postby SHOOTINIT » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:29 am

it all depends on how you install a new barrel..chopping it down to 7/16 and shoving it it the breech still leaves you with a weak point...it is best to bore out the breech and get as much of the barrel to be one with the breech..
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby RayK » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:48 pm

SHOOTINIT wrote:it all depends on how you install a new barrel..chopping it down to 7/16 and shoving it it the breech still leaves you with a weak point...it is best to bore out the breech and get as much of the barrel to be one with the breech..

That is clearly one factor, but I don't believe it "all depends" on that. Remember, there are stock Crosman barrels that shoot very precisely and they are only 7/16".

Douglas had BSA barrels made for his 20 and 25 cal Marauders. I'd like to hear more details and maybe see pictures and groups of what he has.

And to NeuRon: Are you referring to FX Smooth Twist barrels? AoA sells these, but I have yet to hear of a single report of performance of one in a Marauder.

Ray
25 M-rod, 25 M-rod @ Citrus Airguns bullpup, 22 Citrus ReBuilt M-rod, 177 M-rod, new 22 P-rod
RayK

Postby SHOOTINIT » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:10 pm

sure they shoot good..till you look at them too hard and it bends :lol:
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Return to General Chat