Hello from Valley Center, CA

All general Marauder chat to go in here.

Hello from Valley Center, CA

Postby Squirrel Terminator » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Hello Everybody -

I was checking out the Marauder .22 when I found this forum. Everything I have seen and read about the Marauder leads me to think "O-K! I LIKE this!". Now, having said that, let me give you some background.
Even though I live in a Dear Old California (insert raspberry here!) I am blessed in living in a fairly rural area of North San Diego County. I got back into shooting after many years and completely enjoy precision target shooting.
Even though this is more rural than city some of the lots out here are only 2.5 acres. There are more squirrels than people though - something I aim to change single handedly. I have taken many a squirrel with some 710 fps CCI .22 LR and the neighbors are none the wiser for it. Lately I have been taking them with my break barrel Walther Force 1000 .177. It has been one shot, one squirrel and about 90% head shots.
What I like about the Marauder is the higher FPE, greater range and faster follow on for multiple targets. I have never owned a PCP. Any advice is welcome! I also noticed another member lives in Escondido (just down the hill from me). Any information he might have for air tank fills would be great too
I haven't purchased yet but hope to soon!
Walther Force 1000 .177 - 40
Squirrels - 0
Squirrel Terminator

Re: Hello from Valley Center, CA

Postby Masked Marauder » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:44 am

Welcome aboard...enjoy your time here...

Masked Marauder
Masked Marauder
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RayK » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:34 am

Squirrel Terminator wrote:I also noticed another member lives in Escondido (just down the hill from me). Any information he might have for air tank fills would be great too. I haven't purchased yet but hope to soon!

That may be my buddy Matt who lives in rural Escondido. I come down to his place for pellet gun shoots regularly, but he may still be on family vacation. We usually shoot cans and plastic bottles filled with water set out at 40 yards and it is very fun.

Matt has two 3500 psi steel SCUBA tanks he gets filled at a scuba shop and that lasts him quite a while.

SportChalet will fill tanks to 4500 psi or whatever is in their tanks at the time. There is one in San Marcos http://www.sportchalet.com/category/abo ... cos,+ca.do

I prefer the 4500 psi SCBA tanks that give you many more air gun fills. Joe Brancato sells high quality tanks and fill gear and is maybe five miles north of me http://www.airtanksforsale.com

Let me know if you have a day off and are up for shooting and I'll come down and show you my toys. I have all the gen 1 Marauders: 177, 22, 25, and 22 P-rod pistol.

Ray
25 W-rod | 08 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 50 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 29 FPE -3% | 2100 fill
RayK

Postby Squirrel Terminator » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:51 pm

VERY Cool! Exactly the information I was looking for! Thank You for that. I am a member at Escondido Fish and Game and could take you to the range. Unfortunately I can only bring one guest at a time or I would invite both you and Matt! I don't know if you enjoy shooting boomers but I could offer that in exchange. I do have an Octane .22 Gas Piston on order too. I am guessing that an older Walther Force 1000 would hold little thrill after an MRod .22! LOL
Squirrels - 0
Squirrel Terminator

Postby Squirrel Terminator » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:00 pm

P.S. My Apologies All! I am indeed the Squirrel Terminator LOL - AND I go by Michael!
Squirrels - 0
Squirrel Terminator

Postby RayK » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:46 am

We are kindred spirits. For me, airguns are mostly about squirrels. I've been averaging 15 squirrel kills per week over the past six weeks out at the goat farm. Although I've branched out into shooting some pest birds like sparrows and starlings because the number of squirrels has gone way down (I wonder why ;) ).

Matt is a big squirrel terminator too.

We can just plink at cans/bottles filled with water at 40 plus yards if you have a place we can shoot. Matt and SteveInLA turned me onto this airgun game and it is very fun. If you use a 25, it is often one shot one kill on the cans. I often use my 177 for that game. I bought a pack of 100 flat washers and spray painted them neon orange, we scatter them on the hillside and those are fun to shoot too.

Ray
25 W-rod | 08 shots @ 70 FPE -2% | 3100 fill
25 M-rod | 40 shots @ 35 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
22 M-rod | 51 shots @ 25 FPE -4% | 3100 fill
17 M-rod | 50 shots @ 19 FPE -4% | 2500 fill
25 P_rod | 16 shots @ 29 FPE -3% | 2100 fill
RayK

Postby Squirrel Terminator » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks Ray! I will definitely take you up on that! I will be traveling for business on and off for the next few months. After that - Great! And, as a bonus, my Umarex Octane .22 should be here by then! I know it isn't PCP but it should develop 24 FPE and is supposedly a smidgen quieter than the MRod.

The way I learn anything that interests me is to immerse in it. I became a Microsoft Engineer in a very short time. I sucked up photography as a hobby and ended up shooting pro for Hughes Aircraft. You get the drift. Maybe we can get together on one of your Matt trips and I can bend your ears until I grok Marauders!

My best Squirrel day so far was 10 - before breakfast one Sunday morning! I just got 8 more last Saturday. Feels like a Coney Island shooting gallery! LOL!

Don't know this BB yet though. Is there a private message option?

Have to get some sleep. Enjoy!
Squirrels - 0
Squirrel Terminator

Postby mtucker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Wasn't on this forum much in the last six months and I missed your post. I ran out of bunnies and squirrels to shoot and wasn't playing with the Marauders much. I am Matt from Escondido. Not sure if you ever purchased a PCP, but you are welcome to come try one out (I have the 0.22 and 0.25). Rayk was over last weekend shooting and that helped me get back into shooting and checking the forum.
Matt
mtucker

Postby Squirrel Terminator » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:01 pm

Howdy Matt -

Sounds Great! Would love to shoot both and get an idea. Are your rifles wood or synthetic? Sent you a PM with a few ideas.

Have a good one!
Squirrels - 0
Squirrel Terminator

Postby mtucker » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:54 pm

They are both gen 1 so wood stock. Both are very close to stock. The 22 is stock. On the 25, I did the lawyer spring mod on the trigger (now under 1lb) and added a few inches to the shroud along with a two more baffles (takes the sound of the 25 down a bit.... not loud to start with, but louder compared to the 22). Should still give you a good idea of what a stock Marauder is like.
Matt
mtucker

Next

Return to General Chat