Looking to learn and share knowledge

Welcome to The Marauder forum; please take a moment to introduce yourself.

Looking to learn and share knowledge

Postby Bill G on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:56 am

From Ky, Hello everybody

I've been reading this forum since I was informed of the M-rod. My interest is in the .25 cal. I have been a avid air gunner for years but never could afford the euro guns. I do own a .20 cal Career 707. It was mainly used to shoot ft matches for fun. It has been employed as a pest dispatcher and experimental platform. It really is a nice shooter once you train to the trigger and learn to deal the the horrible stock config. Besides that i can shoot a 1.25 inch group @ 100 yds using 14.3 gr crosman premiers. This rifle really got me thinking about how to get the most out of air power and the Mrod seems to be a perfect test plat form.

Ive had a couple of sons since those days and they are getting to the age to start learning to shoot really well instead of pow, pow ,pow, look dad holes. Iv had a big gap in shooting. This forum has put me back in touch with a skill that I have missed for too long and i bringing a couple of real newbs with me. I must say thank you to every one who has asked a question and/or had an answer. This is what thinking is all about. What i would like to bring to the table is a strong understanding of mechanics, light computational understanding of fluid flow of compressible media (air). moderate engineering knowledge and cad capable. I'm a 13yr old Tool maker by trade (got late start 8 yrs Army). for the past 2.5yrs i have been developing a tool to profile fluid dynamics of an air gun. Imagine if you new quantitatively how much volume and psi is required to propel a known pellet at a desired velocity. I believe i can do just that. My program is cumbersome, but my brother is helping me with a gui. He's the computer programmer. long and short is a 16 shot string requires approx 40000 math calculations. yea, 2.5 yrs of math in my spare time, that's sick I know. lots learned and i now have a beta to test against known platforms and tunes to prove out. Looking forward to discussions and discovery. The biggest lesson I've learned is i need to learn more.
Bill G

Re: Looking to learn and share knowledge

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey Bill, Welcome! Looks like quite an endeavor, we look forward to seeing your results. Hey, when you finish this project, everyone here has a project that calls for a skilled machinest/tool maker like yourself, plus you could make yourself a fair amount money with it too. Figure out a way to provide "drop-in" Lothar-Walther barrels into the Mrod; no one that I know is doing them. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Re: Looking to learn and share knowledge

Postby Bill G on Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:05 pm

I dont own a Mrod yet. mid Feb. the day it comes in it will be disassembled and blue printed using inventor. From there i will take all dems and apply to my program. I'll be working w the .25 cal. I want to achieve 900 fps for 16 shots. calculations tell me That isnt possible (13-14 shots). I'm guessing the transfer port is .187 i.d. this will not allow the flow required. My math says that the last shot will be at 2114psi in the res. the valve and reg should be all one component. The regulation will be of psi and volume together. btw pellet weight i want is 31gr min. long and short, no adjusting hammer tension, no adj stroke. maybe adj transfer port. hanks for the input about the barrels, I'll look into that as soon as i get one.
Bill G

Return to Introduction, Welcome & Greetings