Hello from South Africa

Welcome to The Marauder forum; please take a moment to introduce yourself.

Hello from South Africa

Postby Tuco on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:55 am

I have been shooting for quite a few years: spring air guns, pcps, rimfires and centre fire rifles. Hunting I what I enjoy most and nowadays mainly with air rifles. I enjoy variety in air gun shooting and currently I own a tuned Gamo Whisper X, an HW 95, a Weihrauch 50S, a Career 707 Mk2 Carbine and a Sumatra 2500. As yet I don't own a Marauder but I'm considering getting one in .25 If I'm beginning to sound like an equipment junkie that's only part of the picture: it's shooting I like best and the equipment is always number two.
What got me interested in a Marauder was seeing it used to devastating effect on prarie dogs and ground squirrels at distances of up to a hundred yards. I'm talking about the Varmint Air DVD made I believe by Cliff Tharp, who is clearly a world class shooter. The more I learn about the features and capabilities of the Marauder (esp in .25) the more I aspire to getting one. I'm glad to join the forum and look forward to getting lots of good information from all the experience available here. I hope at some stage to contribute some posts of my own. This is likely if I end up buying a Marauder.

Best regards, Chris
Tuco

Re: Hello from South Africa

Postby MobyMyster on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Hello Chris,
I'm a lot like you in that I really enjoy hunting with a air gun. I too bought Cliff Tharp's DVD on praire dog hunting and throughly enjoy it every time I watch it.
I have the Mrod in .25 cal and I'll join many others to vouch for it's accuracy and power.
It's a real shooter right out of the box - tuning not required. The only thing I've done to mine is to install a depinger, buy a CF tank from Joe and start shooting.
Really looking forward to a PD hunt in western Kansas in early spring.

Wondering, what do you hunt mostly over there...?
Regards,
MobyMyster in Kansas
MobyMyster

Postby Tuco on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:17 am

Hello Moby and thanks for your response, the law regarding air guns in SA is bizarre. Below .22 calibre there is no restriction on power output and a police permit (licence) is not required. Twenty-two and larger calibres are classed as firearms and require a licence which can be difficult to obtain and takes a long time. However, it's not impossible.

Hunting as such with air guns is technically against the law in SA but pest control is permitted as long as the permission of the landowner is given. Vermin species are a bit restricted in my part of SA - no squirrels or rabbits to shoot - so it's mainly birds, feral pigeons, rock doves, Indian myna birds to name a few. I also like shooting guinea fowl and some species of geese on local farms, if the farmer has a valid reason for culling them.

A possible way to get hold of a Marauder is to import it in .177 guise and then apply for a licence and have it converted to .25 calibre. But this is just speculation on my part at present, I haven't looked into it.

Anyway good shooting with your .25 Marauder, particularly on the hunting trip you have planned.

Best regards, Chris
Tuco

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi Chris, Welcome to the family, glad you could join us from SA. We look forward to hearing from someone as experienced as yourself and your opinion on the new Mrod. Cheers. Steve

ps. I bet the weather is nice and warm down there? :D
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Return to Introduction, Welcome & Greetings