new guy already pulled the trigger, just waiting now.

Welcome to The Marauder forum; please take a moment to introduce yourself.

new guy already pulled the trigger, just waiting now.

Postby maskale » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:16 pm

About a two months ago I went through an Academy Sports and saw a Gamo "Adult air rifle". I thought it would be cool to do some back yard plinking. Bought the Wisper Fusion. It has ended up being a waste of 300.00. :oops: Im just not happy with the 2" groups at 10yrds, and it certainly does not 'wisper'. I have never oiled it and it smokes, nitro piston should it be smoking? Recoils so bad even the mount pin cant keep the scope from moving.

Anyways, So I bought my Marauder .177 today from Pyramid, they said it should ship by Weds the latest. Its been about 2 weeks leading up to buying, just hesitant on buying because of all the associated cost of PCP. Been doing my research, finally got all the ducks lined up today so bought the rifle.

My local welding supply was not very helpful with 6k nitrogen, wanted me to rent the tank and could not even quote me without me setting up an account which required credit check and all that crap, and I didn't want a rental, I buy all my cylinders. I know my welding cylinders would have cost $11 a month, well im not paying that the rest of my life, that's why I rather buy. I already have 4 various other cylinders so rental a month does add up if I were to rent. Found a guy that could get me one, 1K for the cylinder, $20 hydro and $200 fills, :shock: yeah thats a little high.

So I looked into other options, local dive shop would not fill without a scuba license, wasnt an ideal fill anyways.

I didnt like the shoebox because I found that you can't turn it on and walk away. Yes that's minor, it didnt kill the deal, but I passed on it for now.

So other option a scba tank. Found a place in town that hydros, and what do you know, the place that fills them is one mile from my house, didnt even know that place was there, small unsuspecting place. So I went there to talk to them before buying a scba to make sure they would fill and check on their valve fittings. Nice people and we got to talking about what I was doing and the options I had. They said well we have a 5000psi 472CF breathing air cylinder here we can sell. So thats what I did, bought the filled and fresh hydroed cylinder for $395 with $20 fills, and I'll get a guppy tank ordered tomorrow for daily use.

Using a guppy off the larger cylinder does make it less efficient, but did some calculating and if I stop filling the guppy when I can no longer get 3K in it and I fill my gun from 1800-2500 and assume 25 shots then I should get no less then 16K shots out of the large cylinder. I know lots of variables, but I needed to make a decision on which "air" route to take. So just did some worst case guestimating. Having never even shot a PCP I hope that I calculated and assumed correctly.

I don't normally talk money, but during my research there were more questions about what large cylinders cost then there were answers, so just listed prices as an FYI.

I guess thats a long intro and covers just about all of my adult air rifle experience. Havent own an air rifle since I was a kid, 20 plus years ago.
maskale

Re: new guy already pulled the trigger, just waiting now.

Postby Masked Marauder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Big kids welcome here...

Masked Marauder
Masked Marauder

Postby SHOOTINIT » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:56 pm

.177 is a good choice with about 100 shots a fill when set up right..i shoot about every other day about 2 at a time...i get my tank filled every 2 or more months when i get down to 1800...when at 1800 i fill all my misc little bottles for paintball...air nozzles for my cameras ect..

200 for tank with 30 refills free was the ticket....and it is clean dry air...
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby SHOOTINIT » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:04 pm

start here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VuXkPyLjNc

get one of these

if shooting indoors or close 25yd stuff , these are great

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_3_9x3 ... 5619eecf58

a bunch of these

then you will need something to stop what you have unleashed

slap this on it

and have a blast
Last edited by SHOOTINIT on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SHOOTINIT

Postby RayK » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:18 pm

maskale wrote:They said well we have a 5000psi 472CF breathing air cylinder here we can sell. So thats what I did, bought the filled and fresh hydroed cylinder for $395 with $20 fills, and I'll get a guppy tank ordered tomorrow for daily use.

You did good. That is like the set-up Garden Sniper Pete just bought and I was wishing I could get one too. That should keep you well supplied with high pressure air for a long time. $20 or even $30 fills for that monster seem like a steal.

BTW, I keep using my tanks down to 2000 psi, but it depends on what you need/want. I do lots of tethered shooting, so the lower pressure is fine for that. And you can tune your 177 for lower pressure if you want so you can get good shot strings between 2500 and 1500 psi. Or since you have so much air, you could just go for high power and keep fill pressure around 3000 psi.

Ray
25 M-rod, 25 M-rod @ Citrus Airguns bullpup, 22 Citrus ReBuilt M-rod, 177 M-rod, new 22 P-rod
RayK

Postby maskale » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:02 am

My rifle is on the delivery truck, Fedex usually makes mid morning deliveries at my house. So should be soon. Got my air cylinder set up and ready to go. Just no guppy or fill hose. Oh the torture of having a rifle I can't fill for at least a week or more.
maskale

Postby RayK » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:19 am

My rifles arrived with some pressure - enough to shoot some pellets. With 177 you can probably shoot 30 pellets on that initial fill.

You'll want to clean the barrel as they come loaded with gunk that may be an anti-rusting compound. There are good threads about doing that initial cleaning here.

If you're handy, you can remove the lawyer spring to make your trigger into the match-grade trigger it is designed to be. There are videos showing how to do this on YouTube.

I'm pretty frugal, but I like good quality. I get all my air plumbing from Joe Brancato. The paintball quality stuff can be found for less money, but Joe's stuffis all top quality.
http://www.airtanksforsale.com

Ray
25 M-rod, 25 M-rod @ Citrus Airguns bullpup, 22 Citrus ReBuilt M-rod, 177 M-rod, new 22 P-rod
RayK

Postby SHOOTINIT » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:29 pm

those long hoses waste lots of air..

SHOOTINIT

Postby maskale » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:57 pm

It came in one piece, wish the stock was darker, I ordered the 10 for $10 from PA so it came with a little less then 3Kpsi, got about 20 shots off, down to 2K now. Its nice compaired to the gamo, PCP is the way to go, just the initial start up cost are so high. Im going to shoot it bone stock for a while, then send it off to get tuned. I am an avid gear head and love to tinker with stuff, just no time really to learn another hobby and tinker with it. Im neck deep in a 4x4 build right now that is over budget and way over due for completion. I just want to shoot, so I'll pay to have it tuned.

I orded the guppy and hose assembly for my large cylinder from Joe. I didnt know I had to send a check till I talked to him, so that has delayed me getting the tank. Not his fault, just the way it is. I looked at other options for tanks and hoses but being new to the hobby I prefered to just buy what was advertised to work with what I had even if it was at a premium. I think I'll prefer the longer hose, Im not going to have an issue getting the air I need. The fill place is .8mls from my house and the SCBA cylinder is much lighter then the 6K nitrogen cylinders. Harldy break a sweat loading the large cylinder by myself.
maskale

Postby RayK » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:02 pm

SHOOTINIT wrote:those long hoses waste lots of air..

The microbore hoses really don't waste much and it may be worth it to have some convenience of where you set your tank and where you set your gun. I often wish I had a longer hose. I have Joe's standard microbore which is 3 feet long, but next time, I'm getting the 5 foot microbore hose.

Ray
RayK

Next

Return to Introduction, Welcome & Greetings