Page 1 of 1

Old new guy or New old guy San Diego

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 pm
by big lar
Hi all, I've been shooting air rifles for about 40 years now. I've had Benjamin,Sheridan and Baikal all come and go. Currently have an FWB 124,HW 95,El Gamo 300(Wood stock and made in Brazil )RWS pistol, and I just got a Marauder .25 This is my first PCP and I'm looking forward to decreasing the ground squirrel population. I'm very glad to have found this sight with so much valuable info. When I started with airguns there was no help. You were pretty much on your own. Thanks again for the sight. Big lar

Re: Old new guy or New old guy San Diego

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:15 pm
by Masked Marauder
Old or new is welcome here Big Lar. Enjoy the site, lots of good info and great folks.

Once again, welcome aboard...

Masked Marauder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:47 pm
by mtucker
Welcome Big Lar. Good to see another San Diegan on the forum (I'm in N. Escondido). My .22 Marauder had a big impact on the ground squirrel population at my house. You going with a pump or SCUBA/SCBA?
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:17 am
by big lar
I got the Hill pump ,just waiting for the quick disconnect.I also got a scuba tank which is being hydro tested this week.should have it next thurs.and I'll be ready to go.Where do you shoot?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 am
by mtucker
I mostly shoot at my house or my parents house (both places are in an unincorporated section of Escondido so the city rules don't apply). My parents land is very flat so I go there when I am dialing in my scope since I am constantly walking back and forth setting up paper in 5 yard increments.

A bunch of guys at work are into shooting firearms and drive to the American Shooting Center during lunch once a week. I've gone with them before and it was fun, but it sure is nice to just step out your back door to sling some lead. It is an indoor range so they have 20 yards lanes there which isn't much of a challenge. I have also been to the Escondido Fish and Game Association outdoor shooting range off Lake Wolford Road (just out of Escondido in Valley Center). http://escondidofishandgame.com/ They have 150 yard rifle areas. I'm not a member, but I go with a guy at work who is.

That is a good idea to get a pump and a tank although the pump sounds like a lot of work :)

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:41 am
by RayK
If you can afford it, 4500 psi SCBA tanks are the way to go - especially for the air-hungry 25 Marauder. You also must have a way to fill them. Some scuba shops, fire stations, paintball shops can fill 4500 psi air tanks.

If you really want to be free, you can get your own compressor. The shoebox is affordable, but it is slow. There are pumps that can fill your tank in 10 minutes, but they are usually $3000 or more new. Some find awesome deals on used compressors. Pete just found one at a fire station auction for $50.

I grew up in Mission Valley. I'm just up the 5 from you in Orange County. I drive down to San Marcos sometimes and can see Escondido from the university campus.

I envy the folks who can shoot pellet guns at or near their house.

If I go to a rifle range, I take my Marauders and shoot 50 yards (or more on occasion). They always draw attention because they are so accurate, powerful, and quiet. Many are blown away that my 25 Marauder outshoots most 22 LR rifles which is (usually) single hole at 50 yards or less.

Ray