You think your backyard is safe? Think again!

A place to post topics unrelated to airguns.

Postby AlfredoM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:04 pm

You may want to think twice before going out into your backyard at night. I have two cams with night vision in my backyard (fenced and gated), they are connected to a software in a dedicated laptop. An alarm sounds if a motion is detected and also the recorder is activated.
During the night, the laptop sits on my night table to wake me and notify me if some raccoon wants to have a dinner from my koi pond. The last big party they had, before installing the cams, made disappear all 29 fish that were in the pond.
Well, two days ago I decided to clean the hard drive and remove all the meaningless recordings; sometimes our cats or just the wind agitating the fig tree leaves triggers the recording. While previewing the videos to delete some, I found one video that I hadn't seen before and for some reason hadn't heard when the alarm started (possibly at that moment I hadn't been in the room).
But, if I had heard the alarm that night and gone out to scare the raccoons away with the little 2400kt pellet air gun (which in the dark may look like a real gun), I'd probably be dead by now.
The video shows two police officers with guns in their hands going around my backyard. I learned yesterday that they had been looking for someone who'd jumped the fence two houses from mine at approximately 11:00pm. The video was recorded at 1:55am
I love the job they do to protect our community, but for a cold search like this (about three hours after the bad guy jumped the neighbor fence) I think that they should knock at the door before getting in my backyard with guns in their hands.
Sometimes during the night I just go out to have a smoke. You may say that smoke can kill you, but this case would have made my wife a rich widow. :(
Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JvS3m0b_6g#
AlfredoM

Re: You think your backyard is safe? Think again!

Postby triggerhead ed » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:27 pm

well it happened to me face to face
sacred me and the police man half to death when i opened the front door to find him standing there
i had the good fortune he was a seasoned officer he told me to go back in house and put my gun away which i did
two days later a man was killed by a rookie police man in his own garage the police went to the wrong address
by the way the police found there man hiding under some scrubs in my flower bed they did drag him out and stomp down my flower bed o well it will grow back and i was not shot on my own porch
so beware of the dark
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living
triggerhead ed

Postby AlfredoM » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:26 am

The problem is that here where I live the weather is nice almost all year around. The backyard is an extension of the house and we do many things outside, including at night. We have a covered spa, under the covered patio we watch movies on the big TV until really late sometime, when I am slow cooking some brisket in my Texas style barbecue I spend all night outside dozing in and out in the hammock. Sometime when the night is cool and it is still hot inside the house I decide to stay outside reading my book on the tablet and sleep in the hammock under the pergola.
The point is that if someone is getting in the backyard is like he is getting in any other room of the house without knocking at the door.
AlfredoM

Postby SHOOTINIT » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:43 pm

they wouldn't have left my yard in the same condition they came in.
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby StephenSmith » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Man that's crazy.
StephenSmith

Return to General Ramblings