PVC Portable field target holder

A place to post topics unrelated to airguns.

PVC Portable field target holder

Postby screwwork » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Here is my portable filed target holder that is compact, light and best of all inexpensive to build. Just about 4 bucks 
The only thing I will changes to next time would be to use 24” long a frame pipe to give a little more height from target to ground.

Qty 4, ½” Sch 40PVC pipe x 18”long for my A frame stand. Drilling a 3/8” hole about 1” from the end of the tubing for the wooded dowel to be inserted into.
Qty1, 3/8” wooden dowel stock x 19” long
Qty 2, ½” Sch 40PVC pipe cut to 14”long target upper & lower

screwwork

Re: PVC Portable field target holder

Postby louigi600 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:22 am

Nice idea but I think the implementations could do with some upgrades like something to keep the legs from opening too much for better stability, and paper clips in the holder tubes for quick target changing, slipping an elastic over the wooden dowel and pulling it across to the other side will hold the thing together even when the holes will start to loosen up over time.

My portable setup consists of an ordinary pellet trap mounted on a photographic type tripod, this way the pellets don't travel behind the target and get trapped (optionally silently if the trap has putty in the back stop).
Regards
David

Benjamin Marauder .177 cal.
louigi600

Postby mtucker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:46 am

Looks good and light.
Some type of clip on the top and maybe bottom tube would make target replacement a breeze.
mtucker

Postby SHOOTINIT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:43 am

Made this a couple years ago for my daughter's paintings...you wouldn't need the table clamp on the bottom but you get the idea.

i drilled the top and bottom front tee's so they are free swiveling

folded
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby screwwork » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:37 pm

louigi600,

I have the legs very flexible to allow a lot of movement in height because the areas I can use the field target is out in open fields and not really level plus I don't require a back stop. I may even use my powder burner for longer range shooting.
the target can be secured anyway the builder would like to secure them, tape, paper clips or even 4 paper binder clips w/cable ties that is what I will be using soon.
the elastic cord over the wooden dowel is a great idea, I was planning on using elastic cord to secure the target stand to the ground with stakes if required due to wind.
thx for the tips.

Shootinit,
that is a nice target/painting stand, thx for sharing your project with us too.
screwwork

Postby SHOOTINIT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:26 pm

IT may be a shooting stand if she doesn't take it to her apartment soon..lol
99% of the time it's the shooter, not the gun.

SHOOTINIT

Postby louigi600 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:44 am

Yesterday I made the fastest and most effective pellet trap I've ever done. It's made from an 8 inch long steel pipe (5 inch diameter), a HDPE backstop (made from molten soda bottle lids) and that's it ... just hill the rest with clothes or paper and push the target in the front until it's held in place by the filling. Optionally you can have a hole in the side of the pipe so it can be mounted on a tripod and a few screws to hold the backstop in place.

Regards
David

Benjamin Marauder .177 cal.
louigi600

Return to General Ramblings