MARAUDER on the way

This area is dedicated to the .25 caliber Benjamin Marauder by Crosman.

Re: MARAUDER on the way

Postby USMCShooter on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:46 am

Steve,

While I agree I take the risk on my own, I was advised by a qualified hydro person to do what I did, inspect the external for possible cracks, pull the valve, clean the tank thoroughly, inspect the inside thoroughly with a bright light and mirror, reinstall the valve, gradually air and let sit to verify leakage and safety until desired (or maximum) pressure is reached....there is also a reason they are extending these tanks to 30 years.....and there have been little significant changes in the way they are manufactured.

Feel free to advise someone on the safety, but I feel a bit like you were questioning my personal knowledge. I assure you, I didn't do this in a vacuum. I went the Nitrogen route on expert advice that has proven itself with 5 bottles now....I have thrown away 3 as well due to inconsistencies in the internals....

Each person accepts his own level of risk.....but done correctly....adjusting the pressures a bit at a time to verify integrity.....it's not as disastrous as people advertise.

s/f

Jamie
USMCShooter

Postby Supercharged86 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Jamie,

Taking a risk on your own accord is your business, no one here and certainly not I will tell you otherwise. Although, from a professional stand point I would recommend you don’t follow this philosophy, for your own safety. I’m not arguing your right to do as you please, I’m simply asking that you don’t promote the dangerous and careless use of expired cylinders. There are many new users of PCP airguns that are not familiar with HPA and their inherent dangers, limitations and the need for extreme care and caution; and therefore can be unaware of the SCBA expiration date and it's meaning.

Yes; I do and have been advising users who are interested in SCBA usage ever since I joined this forum (and I will continue to do so for as long as I’m apart of it). And yes, I am questioning your knowledge and experience with fire service equipment. Sorry Jamie, but you have been misinformed or perhaps misunderstood yourself; the DOT regulations regarding SCBA cylinders. Yes, you are correct in saying that there does exist a “30 year” SCBA cylinder but that cylinder is not yours, mine or likely any other hobbyist here. The DOT has approved the manufacture and sale of “30 year” cylinders to a company know as SCI, who is the sole manufacture of SCBA cylinders in North America. These cylinders are completed redesigned and specially formulated for the extended duty cycle. These cylinders carry a completed new DOT certification that your 15 year cylinder does not have. SO CURRENT 15 YEAR CYLINDERS WILL NOT BE EXTENDED TO 30 YEARS, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Furthermore, your qualified hydro person apparently has neglected to tell you that the hydrostatic test also incorporates a water jacket or similar testing process, were by the SCBA cylinder is pressurized to 7500 psi.. This test measures the amount of deflection or stretch in the cylinder itself. It is this test that truly measures the integrity safety factor of this cylinder. So your idea of filling, waiting and filling some more is just ridiculous. If you think that your SCBA cylinder is going to give you some kind of warning before it explodes into a thousand pieces, your grossly mistaken. Let me ask you Jamie, how come your qualified hydro person doesn’t retest your expired cylinder? That’s because he’s not stupid and he knows that it’s against federal regulations to do so.

So Jamie, I'll leave you with this; I certainly wouldn’t tell you how to properly B.Z.O. your M16A4 service rifle or how to properly deploy a M18A1 Claymore mine so don’t tell me how to properly use and care for a fire service SCBA cylinder.

End of Discussion. Enjoy your .25 Mrod!
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby USMCShooter on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:28 am

Got it, and your comments have me a bit concerned, and I called him about it. While he said the method he gave me to check it make him comfortable, I asked and He's going to Hydro it for me this week. Albeit for safety purposes, as you stated, he can't put a 'sticker' on it, but he'll check it out for me.....All I can do is post my personal experience, and what worked for me.

All I have to go off of is his 30+ years in the business. I still think it's a very viable alternative for folks that don't have a SCUBA shop around, or someone to fill to 4500psi.....maybe not with the expired tanks, but certainly with in-hydro tanks.

I'll apologize for anything I may have said to affect anyone.

s/f

jamie
USMCShooter

Postby twohsieh on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Jamie,

Tanks are not that expensive now. $20/year of service left. multiply that all the way up to 15 or 30. They are everywhere, Saving just a little bit of cash is not really worth arguing or discussing about. think its expensive still. were talking 5.4 cents a day.....
twohsieh

Postby pb177 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 am

Just to add some common sense to this…..most of these tanks are made of aluminum, not steel.
Springs are made from steel because steel has a memory and will tend to return back to its original shape.
Aluminum will not return to it’s original shape. Common aluminum foil from your kitchen is a great example.
Aluminum will not stress relieve itself. After so many stress cycles, aluminum will begin to form cracks, and when it decides to let go, there is no warning, it just goes.

I am an avid mountain biker and most of us ride high quality equipment made primarily from aluminum. Part of our maintenance routine is an inspection for hairline cracks. Once one is found, it is time to scrap your frame that may have cost $1,000-$3,000. 5 years is a long life for a regularly ridden bike frame.
15 years seems like a very generous, government imposed life cycle for a tank that may cost a few hundred dollars new.

Happy shooting everybody,
Regards,
Paul
pb177

Previous

Return to .25 Cal Marauders