Winter stock project

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

Winter stock project

Postby ssscottg on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Since Steve installed the adjustable comb-riser on his marauder I have been planning a similar project on mine. I ran across a Kydex adjustable comb riser that is available by Karsten http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm The Karsten piece is a one-size-fits-all comb riser that are generally available and used by our US soldiers overseas. Anyway because of the odd shape of the marauder stock, I decided to mold my own.
This is the plastic vendor where I purchased 2 12" sheets of 3/16" Kydex for about $18 shipped. http://stores.ebay.com/Harva-Plastics

Since I decide to modify the stock I wanted to fix more things that I didn't like about it. Like the overly long and squarish forearm, the palm swells, and then I decided to trim down the cheek pieces to make the comb riser fit better.

I am looking at this as a prototype, as I may modify or retry the project later.

BTW it took way too much time, I probably have about 16 hours invested with plane-ing, sanding, molding and painting.

Here is a pictorial of the process.

To start I used a plane to shave the forearm and cheek piece.

and

Then I formed a template of file folder card stock to test fit a cheek piece for size.

I transferred the template size to the Kydex, cut the Kydex and then I used a heat gun to form the Kydex over the Marauder Stock, (leather work gloves are helpful in the forming process). This is the formed piece on the Marauder Stock.

Now for the finishing

I decided on a camo finish and used some paint that I had around the house. The proces is to layer the paint up from light to dark then finish in the final color that is most like your most typical hunting background. I ripped blue painters tape into strips to make the tiger stripe camo pattern.

This is the final product. Unfortunately I burned a small area of the paint while attempting to cure the paint by placing it too close to my wood stove. I will have to paint that portion again, but it should be fine.

And this is an excuse to post a picture of my dog :-)

ssscottg

Re: Winter stock project

Postby ARPredatorHunter on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:24 am

Nice job, I have also done my stock in this fashion although I used the original Karsten cheekpiece. Mine is not angled nearly as much as yours, but I guess this is a personal preference. I will post some pics of mine after I get the DuraCoat camo paint put onto it.
ARPredatorHunter

Postby pb177 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Very nicely done!
Nothing like making it yourself!

It looks like that camo really works, that dog can’t even see it sitting there!
Paul
pb177

Postby Point Doc on Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Off the topic, but scope are you using?

Thanks
Point Doc

Return to Marauder Mods