WANNA MAKE IT EVEN QUIETER ?????

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

WANNA MAKE IT EVEN QUIETER ?????

Postby rbolton6 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Make no mistake - The Marauder is quiet - Very Quiet - Can it get better - You Bet !!!
I have my 22 cal set "wide open" and it can get a tad louder than I like while shooting in my neighborhood woods.

Check out my other post about "depingers" ?
I installed a homemade version that cost nothing and completely eliminated the ping :)
Took a total of about 15 minutes to get it installed !!

I have been messing with the tubes in the barrel shroud every since I got the gun to see if anything would work better.
Funny thing, you can take the tubes completely out and screw back on the end cap and there really isn't that much difference in the sound.

I've tried numerous materials inside the tubes to see if I could get this jewel as close to silent as possible.
Nothing seemed to make much of a difference - some materials made it even louder.

Today I ran across an article on Melamine foam.
It has the highest noise reduction level of almost anything out there.
I tried it inside the tubes and WHOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!

It's a Keeper !

Here's the good part - Your wife most likely has melamine under the sink with her cleaning materials.
Mr Clean Magic Erasers are made from Melamine :) Go figure !

It took about 10 minutes of cutting out strips of these and installing in the tubes to get my Marauder
about as close to silent as possible without the feds knocking on my door :)

Give these two mods a try and I think you'll be amazed !!!
rbolton6

Re: WANNA MAKE IT EVEN QUIETER ?????

Postby Hepotter on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:19 pm

I can't find your earlier post on the depinger. What did you use and how?

On the melamine, how did you use it in the tube? Did you stuff it in, or was there a specific manner it is to be inserted and placed?

Thanks!
Hepotter

Postby rbolton6 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:40 am

Cut the magic eraser just a tad shorter than the tube for the width - The length needs to match the inner diameter of the tube - no overlap !! You can cut and insert and re-cut again to fit, if needed !
Cut the screen the same length * Use aluminum and not fiberglass screen material *
The fiberglass material will not spring back out like the aluminum - to give everything ample pellet clearance !
* Trim the screen up so there are no loose threads - the one in the picture here was from a failed mission :)
Lay your magic eraser down first, place screen on next and then take both and wrap tightly around a regular ball point pen.
While still on the pen, insert the above into one of your shroud tubes and work it off the pen and snug into the tube.
Check the hole inside to make sure nothing is obstructing the pellet clearance - you can rework this by re-inserting the pen.
Repeat the above for the other 3 tubes - add washer and screw back on endcap - DONE :)

Below is a copy/paste from my post on the de-pinger

Might want to give these a look
Several versions of a de-pinger for the Marauder and installation instructions

http://www.network54.com/Forum/581291/m ... he+idea....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/me ... r+Depinger

http://www.pellethead.net/forums/showth ... cb5d&t=220

I actually found a piece of 1 1/4" clear tubing among my CPAP machine accessories.
It was a perfect fit in the air chamber and the ping is totally gone now.

Installation took about 15 minutes tops

HOPE THIS HELPS !!
IF ANYONE HAS COME UP WITH AN EVEN BETTER MOUSE TRAP PLEASE LET ME KNOW :)
rbolton6

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:17 am

HOLY MACKEREL! Even quieter! Before I go cut up the window screen in my sunroom (hell, who needs a sunroom right now anyway, it's winter :lol: ) does regular window type screen work? Thanks.

ps. your picture from photobucket isn't showing up????
Last edited by Supercharged86 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby rbolton6 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:26 pm

The screens they installed on my house were made out of the fiberglass material - They DID not work.
My wife is still trying to figure out where that little hole in her back door came from :) :) :)

I went to Lowe's and bought a small roll of the aluminum screen material for about 8 bucks.
It works - Rolling it tightly around that pen will cause it to have an outwards spring to it that will keep the pellet path clear.
The fiberglass type did not spring outwards ! don't waste any time on it !

I think I got Photobucket squared away after moving files on my laptop - What pic is still missing ?
rbolton6

Postby rbolton6 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:38 pm

this the one you're looking for ?

rbolton6

Postby Supercharged86 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Yeah, that must be the one. Thanks. You didn't by any chance measure the center opening after the install?
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby rbolton6 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:15 am

right at 5/16"
you should be fine as long as you use a regular Bic ball point pen for rolling the whole thing up.
eye ball everything once it's inserted in the tube - you can re-insert the pen again if needed to adjust for clearance.
rbolton6

Postby Supercharged86 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:01 am

Thanks. Going to give this a try and do a before and after on the decibel meter.
Forum Moderator

Supercharged86

Postby rbolton6 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:05 am

excellent - let me know what readings you come up with.
I tried the foam inside the barrel shroud down below the barrel end heading back towards the stock and that seemed to make it a little louder. Took all that out and just left it with the foam in the tubes at the barrel's end.
rbolton6

Next

Return to Marauder Mods