WANNA MAKE IT EVEN QUIETER ?????

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

Re: WANNA MAKE IT EVEN QUIETER ?????

Postby RayK on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Well I tested out my Mr Clean Magic Eraser modifications Saturday.

I really did not notice it being any quieter.

Now, I do have a 25 Marauder and I believe these are considerably louder than the 22 or 177 Marauders.

I also noticed a few fliers, so the pellets were occasionally hitting something in my new setup.

So I ripped it all out and shot the rest of the day.

I may try this mod next: http://www.network54.com/Forum/581291/t ... re+baffles

Ray
RayK

Postby ProfT on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:21 pm

I am going to try something with my .25 caliber Marauder. Just placed an order to purchase some Volara closed cell foam material, and custom laser cut some baffles. The idea is to remove all the original baffle cups. Then, roll up 1/8" Volara stripes of different heights. I'll insert the rolled stripes and baffles into the shroud.

For $25+S&H, I got 30 plastic baffles (0.77" OD, 0.29" ID). Volara foam at 1/8" thickness is $2.49 for a 12"x60" piece. I also ordered some regular Neoprene. Even some 1/16" thickness foam to wrap the barrel before putting the shroud back on.

I figure I can try out many different designs with material cost being this reasonable. I'll probably put the baffles at different intervals. The pressure wave is most intense closest to the muzzle, so that chamber should be the smallest. The chamber size increases (by lengthening distance between baffles) as the distance increases from the muzzle. I can also play with the material type and number of layers of foam to use to control the chamber size and acoustic effect.

As for measuring the sound level, I also have an alternative method. Instead of using a sound meter, I'll use a studio recorder with the mic set to a fixed gain. This method does not measure any sound level, but the actual sound. It'll be interesting to see the harmonics from the engineering point of view!

The baffles will arrive on 7/21, so there won't be anything to report until at least 7/22. I did get some duct seal putty today from Home Depot (for the pellet trap) so the impact sound won't be that much louder than the rifle.
ProfT

Postby rbolton6 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:45 am

How did this mod work out for ya ?

I've tried a few variations and still haven't found any combo that brings it down much more.

For now I'm sticking with Mr Clean and the "clear 1 1/4" plastic tube" depinger :D

This combo on the MROD makes all the other "out of the box" PCP's I've tried sound like rimfires !
rbolton6

Postby joseph on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:10 am

Would like to try this...new to pcp...but do not fully understand how this was done and the picture does not help.Do not understand where this form is going...are there any You tube videos and or another discription of how it is done...thank you in advance. Joe
joseph

Postby BrerBob on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:56 am

Joseph - when you say you would "like to try this" are you referring to the shroud extension?

The shroud extension is the length of 2 baffles. The shroud is held to the barrel by a collar with a set screw that butts up against the breech. You remove the collar then slide the extension over the barrel then remount the shroud collar butting up against the shroud extension. The net result is that the shroud now sticks out further beyond the end of the end of the barrel allowing 2 more baffles to be inserted. As in the picture, that I believe you were mentioning, the idea is for it to blend into the shroud as much as possible.

Here's mine along with a GD air tube extension.

Read here, too.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=874

Bob

BrerBob

Postby rgratton08 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:41 am

I have a shroud extension tube from Greg Davis. It is for the 25cal. It has 3 baffles but if you really want to make it quiet then try making some new baffles out of 1 inch Teflon rod. This is a sight that explains how. http://www.silencertests.com/forum/view ... 7324dfafdf This will bring the decibels down by 10db.
rgratton08

Postby rbolton6 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:07 pm

FOR UNDER 5 DOLLARS I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND A WAY TO BRING THE 25 CAL DOWN EVEN QUIETER THAN THE 22 CAL THAT HAS MY MR CLEAN MAGIC ERASER MOD ON IT !!

Just got done with the new mod after MUCH trial and error.
Going to do some accuracy and chrony testing in the morning.
If all goes well I will post pics and instructions tomorrow.....Finger Crossed :D

If it did this for the 25 I can't wait to get it done on my 22...It should bring it down into the "mouse fart" range :D :D
rbolton6

Postby rbolton6 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:00 am

Accuracy tests were not as I had hoped :(

I lost those one hole groups at 50 yards... It didn't throw it off all that much....It will still take out a tree rat's head at 50, but I sure love to see those 25 cal monsters punching thru the same hole every time !!

Gonna go do some work on the inner diameter of the new washers/baffles I added on this mod and see if I can bring the groups back in a little more.
rbolton6

Postby BrerBob on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Definitely allow some room to avoid pellet clipping. I opened mine up with a grinding bit. I have 6 baffles of which three I added washers for different chamber sizes. It's Vewy, Vewy quiet.

BrerBob

Postby rbolton6 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:33 am

Thanks Bob.

I based my mod on this fellas testing. He has a bunch of videos on youtube...Watched em till I am about cross-eyed :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2yoljkbY4o

I found the 5/8" curlers at Dollar General for a buck for a pack of eight.
These were the Velcro type and a perfect fit in the barrel shroud.
They will fit inside the baffles as well but are compressed somewhat.
I went with the lengths he had found worked the best on his video.

It had a very noticable affect on the noise level !
Everything went well up until the accuracy testing.
This is where things went south with the mod....Groups just went to heck in a hand basket :(

It definitely had something to do with the inner diameter of the washers.
I tried opening them up a bit and got my accuracy back but the noise level increased back to around the original level.

I believe I am going to work on your mod today by adding the washers INSIDE the Crosman baffles at various spacing per your post.

If this works out I may try purchasing another set of baffles, doing your mod on them..but add the velcro curlers inside when I add the washers so I have different spacing with the washers and the added dissipation of the velcro curlers for comparison.

Thanks for the help !
rbolton6

PreviousNext

Return to Marauder Mods