an idea to quiet down the marauder.

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

Re: an idea to quiet down the marauder.

Postby Motorhead » Fri May 11, 2012 10:29 pm

AndyPrice44 wrote:on second thought. cotton may be too thick. I might put a little cheesecloth or some steel wool and see what happens. I will report back.

DON'T put holes in the shroud !! ....
You want the shroud tubes space behind air stripper to act as a chamber absorbing the shot pressure pulse then returning it the same path it came.
Venting the shroud will very likely be louder.
RAW TM1000 Hybrid .177
2) M-rods - Pup .22 & HFT .177
Evanix Rainstorm .22
BSA Scorpion Tac .177
FX Whisper T-12 .177
AA 410 .22
BAM 50 Custom .25
Cros 1701P .177
AA TX-200 .177
FWB 124D .177
HW35 .177
Diana 75 HV .177
4.5k ShoeBox + Guppy
Motorhead

Postby AndyPrice44 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:46 am

I am not going to put the holes in the shroud at first. I will just make the 8 smaller baffles with the washers and see what that does. Today I am going to install the HDD, Install a 2-piece depinger, Remove lawyer spring and construct the new baffles. I will post back when I have this completed.
AndyPrice44

Postby COman » Sat May 12, 2012 8:47 am

Hi!

One thing to consider...

Even distance between the baffels is not the best performing constrution.
At first there should be big chamber. Then the smaller chambers but variable volumes. It will make the turbulence bigger = better.

Something like this:

Air stream -> [________(_____(___(____(__(____(__] ->

COman
COman

Postby GTBjay » Sat May 12, 2012 10:52 am

COman has the right idea going... equal chambers ='s no good

and you certainly could dill some Very tiny holes in the tube back at the block near the breach, ed has been using them on his pistols and is now using them on the R3, there are also a few very well known builders on the other side of the pond that have been doing it for years now and it works! the thing is you must have ample holes in the plug at the muzzle for the air to transfer back, then you will want a scotch bright type material loosely rapping the area under the holes, then for the holes.... VERY, VERY small like 1/64" evenly spaced and rapping the shroud tube, maybe eight of them at the end but I would start with four and see how that helps and go from there
aim small ~ miss small

GTBjay

Postby Motorhead » Sat May 12, 2012 11:09 am

COman wrote:Hi!

One thing to consider...

Even distance between the baffels is not the best performing constrution.
At first there should be big chamber. Then the smaller chambers but variable volumes. It will make the turbulence bigger = better.

Something like this:

Air stream -> [________(_____(___(____(__(____(__] ->

COman

Exactly !!
Have witnessed a one piece baffle assembly made up from a length of thin 1/32" wall aluminum tube that had an O.D. just under shrouds I.D. ( this was on a .22 rod )
Inside it are @ 9 Stainless cone washers pressed within tube at staggered spacing being wide at barrel muzzle progressively getting closer together at exit cap of shroud.
washers used were these:

They were placed within tube with I.D. flare towards breech so the air passing threw the center hole is peeled outward acting like individual air strippers at every washer in tube.

The spacing breaks down the frequency wave of the pulse into fractured parts rather than equal spacing that has the sound wave shape & amplitude remaining the same washer to washer.

Been keeping this observed trick under wraps because of the sensitivity of the bigger issue at hand :roll: .... nuff said.
RAW TM1000 Hybrid .177
Evanix Rainstorm .22
BSA Scorpion Tac .177
FX Whisper T-12 .177
AA 410 .22
BAM 50 Custom .25
Cros 1701P .177
AA TX-200 .177
FWB 124D .177
HW35 .177
Diana 75 HV .177
4.5k ShoeBox + Guppy
Motorhead

Postby AlanMcD » Sat May 12, 2012 11:59 am

Andy,

If you want to know how well your idea works, don't do everything at once. The de-pinger will change the sound characterists, and the HDD will potentially quiet the gun down quite a bit too, depending on how it is tuned.

I'd suggest getting it to shoot the way you want, and then experiment with the baffels and shroud so that you really konw if it changes things - for better or worse (which is a possibility).
AlanMcD

Postby AndyPrice44 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:50 pm

I did some work to my rifle this morning. I went to ace hardware and found some black plastic washers that were the same outside diameter as the stock baffles. The inside hole of the washer was a slight bit bigger, maybe a 1/16 of an inch. I measured and cut my 4 original baffles in half. I took the cylindrical bottom piece and superglued a washer on top.
I now have 8 baffles in my gun. This did make a noticeable difference in the sound. Not anything drastic but, it did quiet it down from the stock configuration. I like what I read in the previous post before me. I might turn the first baffle around to make a big air chamber to start then get smaller. I aslo installed the two 1" depingers. I can't tell too much of a difference. The ping is still there. I have them evenly spaced at 1/3 and 2/3 down the air chamber. I think what I have done is essentially created 3 evenly spaced areas that still resonate at the same frequency. I might try to move them a bit to make each area between the depingers a different size. The results of the modified baffles looks promising though. I will fine tune it a bit more and report back.

When you guys are talking about drilling the holes, Are you referring to the block on the muzzle end of the barrel itself that sits just behind the baffles? Should I drill some small holes in it to allow air to get behind it?

Andy
AndyPrice44

Postby AndyPrice44 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:21 pm

I forgot to say I had a friend tag along with me today and let him do some shooting while I stood about 20yds away. At this distance I couldn't hear any ping. You could hear the gun shoot but, it is alot quieter than any other air rifle or airsoft gun I have shot previously. I had my target setup against a plywood backstop and the pellet hitting the target was much louder than the rifle. My friend was really surprised by how quiet this gun is and he commented about it several times. I have it zeroed in at 60yds. I find that to make holdovers easier. I have a leupold scope on it right now. It has a standard duplex reticle. Mil-dots sure would be handy. I use the bottom of the top post of the duplex for 40yds. A dead on hold for 60yds, and the top of the bottom post for 75yds. My rifle will hold a 1" group at 75 yds with jsb exact kings in no wind. It shoots polymags very well also. Not quite as good as the jsb's but pretty damn close. Those polymags are pure death on pigeons. We have a bad problem with them at my buisness. My family owns a lumber and building supply company. The pigeons like to roost in our warehouses and shit all over our lumber then people dont want to buy it. I had a .177 cal crosman break barrel. You would have to make a perfect shot in the head to kill them and that particular rifle wasn't very accurate. Thats what lead me to try to find a better air rifle to do pest control with. Did alot of research and watched alot of youtube videos and ended up with a .25cal MROD. I had no idea an air rifle could be so accurate, and consistently accurate shot after shot. I took out 3 pigeons and about 10 starlings today. This .25 takes em down no problem. Sorry for rambling on.... I will report back once I get my HDD installed and my baffles re-configured to the design mentioned above.

Andy

'
AndyPrice44

Postby Motorhead » Sat May 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Holes I suggested making larger is in the "Air Stripper Shroud support piece" at barrels muzzle. It has 6 radially spaced @ 1/8" holes in it stock, open them all to 3/16" ( I used a 3/16" starter/centering drill for this because it grabs less than a typical twist drill does )
RAW TM1000 Hybrid .177
Evanix Rainstorm .22
BSA Scorpion Tac .177
FX Whisper T-12 .177
AA 410 .22
BAM 50 Custom .25
Cros 1701P .177
AA TX-200 .177
FWB 124D .177
HW35 .177
Diana 75 HV .177
4.5k ShoeBox + Guppy
Motorhead

Postby AndyPrice44 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:19 pm

thanks for the reply. I will take a look at those holes and may enlarge them if I can do it on my drill press.
AndyPrice44

PreviousNext

Return to Marauder Mods