Vented Shroud to Reduce Noise

DIY Modifications to the Benjamin Marauder, like Depingers, bolt handles, etc.
Mod parts offered for sale should be posted in the AFTERMARKET section.

Re: Vented Shroud to Reduce Noise

Postby Supercharged86 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Hey TJ, You might have something there, but will the minimal clearance between the baffle and shroud wall (only about .012" total) be enough without causing a restriction? Interesting none the less. Cheers. Steve
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby tjbryner on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:09 pm

It don't sound like much, but if you keep in mind that:
1. Its round
2. it's long
I haven't completely figured out the total volume of air that space can hold, But It does seem to help.

The next step is to add a few baffles inside of the baffles.....Sounds confusing doesn't it?

I'll get photos up soon as I finish the inside baffles ;)

TJ
tjbryner

Postby Supercharged86 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Sounds cool!
Forum Moderator

Mrod .177 with EunJin 16.1's = A bad day!!!
Supercharged86

Postby BrerBob on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:13 am

tjbryner wrote:The next step is to add a few baffles inside of the baffles.....Sounds confusing doesn't it?

TJ

Not Really

The trick seems to be the right combination of baffle sizes to remove different harmonics. I ended up going with 3 regular baffles and 3 with an additiitonal "baffle" added. When I have the time I intend to try varied and multiple spacings within.

BrerBob

Postby tjbryner on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:22 am

Well After sending my wife outside last night after dark to do some testing, I fired 3 shots into the the woods, (about 200 yards away) I wanted no target impact noise. Then I fired 3 shots in to a pumpkin about 35 yds away. My wife said that the loudest part was the target impact, and a small twank sound?????? OK so after a glass of wine, I'm now trying to figure out a way to get rid of the loudest part of my gun........

The hammer spring! That is the twank sound I believe she is hearing. I had her standing about 20 yards left and 5 yards in front of the muzzle. If it's quite at that distance I'm HAPPY
tjbryner

Postby BrerBob on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:18 am

tjbryner wrote: I had her standing about 20 yards left and 5 yards in front of the muzzle. If it's quite at that distance I'm HAPPY

How good is that??!!

Funny but that's virtually the same test that I did with my son assisting. I had him shoot so that I could hear for myself and not have to decipher his interpetation. Taking out the impact noise while testing is important. My remaining problem is the "Thump" sound of a Kodiak hitting a tree rat!!!!

I feel that the sound isn't discernable as a "shot". I figure if it's that quiet in the still of the night then with the daytime ambient noise level the minimal report (twang) easily blends in.

Enjoy!!

BrerBob

Postby tjbryner on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:45 am

I'm working on the hammer spring Mod now :idea: I'll let every one know how it works .....If it works :?:
tjbryner

Postby slayer1962 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:35 pm

You maniacs! I love it! I have to take my shroud out and look at the baffles now thanks alot guys! lol. :D
slayer1962

Postby tjbryner on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 pm

slayer1962 wrote:You maniacs! I love it! I have to take my shroud out and look at the baffles now thanks alot guys! lol. :D

I'm so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No not really, LOL I'm just glad to be able to play with my M ROD all day! Between it and my Condor I stay busy!

TJ
tjbryner

Postby rgratton08 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:36 am

some were asking for picks of the muzzle brake mod. see http://www.marauderairrifle.com/forum/v ... f=28&t=871 under mod/i changed a few things on my 25 cal.
rgratton08

PreviousNext

Return to Marauder Mods